Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
219 user(s) are online (146 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 217

Darrin180, DavidM, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Folding Rear Seat
Home away from home
Home away from home

Keegan Chaput
See User information
As if the trunk is not big enough, I've been toying with the idea of making the rear seat fold down to allow more cargo area in the Clipper.

I know that there is bracing behind the seat. I assume that it's sole purpose is for supporting the seat back cushion. If that's the case, then I could just add additional bracing on the cushion frame itself. Allowing me to remove the cross brace welded in the car. (two of the welds have broken already)

Just wondering if anyone has any thoughts on the subject.

I've got a few other interior questions as well, but I'll start a new thread for each one.

Attach file:

jpg  (91.04 KB)
550_4b8ad7c2b8dac.jpg 1003X667 px

Posted on: 2010/2/28 15:53
 Top  Print   

Re: Folding Rear Seat
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Don't remove the bracing, it's for body rigidity.

Posted on: 2010/2/28 15:56
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
If those brace were merely for supporting the seatback, they wouldn't need to be run on a diagonal.

Looks more like trusswork for the body structure to me.

Posted on: 2010/2/28 16:31
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Keegan Chaput
See User information
They are just so flimsy. I can't see how they're adding much rigidity to the body structure.

The ones on my car don't add anything at all. The welds are broken.

I guess I could design a removable brace that could be removed and replaced easily.

Posted on: 2010/2/28 16:42
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
Not only do not remove the X-braces, but you need to fix the existing broken welds.

Of course you could fabricate a different cross brace arrangement which would allow you to have a fold-down rear seat or maybe better yet utilize the fold down center arm rest on the Sr cars. In the latter case, a rectangle behind the arm rest cutout with X-braces off of it will still provide the body support you need.

Be aware that the 4dr and 2dr rear seat frames are different if you are looking for a Sr fold down arm rest. Srs will fit the Jrs and vice versa with the same number of doors.

Craig

Posted on: 2010/2/28 16:46
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
Quote:
They are just so flimsy. I can't see how they're adding much rigidity to the body structure.

Mechanical engineering tells you that the "X" provides its structural rigidity due to TENSION along those "flimsy" struts, i.e., they do NOT elongate when a tension is applied. They are there for body rigidity...believe it.

Craig

Posted on: 2010/2/28 16:57
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Keegan Chaput
See User information
So keep the bracing!! Thanks guys.

I'll seriously consider the fold-down arm rest idea. That would be quite a bit easier than making the whole thing hinge out of the way.

Posted on: 2010/2/28 17:06
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Keegan, think for a moment about how structurally rigid the body would be at the front without a cowl, and then apply that thinking to the rear of the body and I think you'll see the need for bracing behind the rear seat.

Posted on: 2010/2/28 20:01
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Keegan Chaput
See User information
Craig has convinced me with his suggestion of the folding arm rest. Best of both worlds. Keep a nice solid brace and a large (12x17) opening through the rear seat.

Once the pieces are in place I'll follow up.

Posted on: 2010/2/28 22:13
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved