Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
220 user(s) are online (140 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 219

39Rollson, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Frame crossover
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Aden
See User information
Jim,

Thanks once again on some excellent advice. I will be posting pictures soon. Also what would be a reasonable price for the motor ans tranny? I do know that the motor turns. Do not know if it runs.
Thanks again,
Aden

Posted on: 2010/3/5 10:32
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
A 2122 would be a top-of-the line Packard and also a bona-fide Classic per CCCA, and a really fine road car in all respects. It sure would be a shame to me to see it modified.

Posted on: 2010/3/5 10:52
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

bkazmer
See User information
Let's call this what it is - rod or restore? This group cringes at rodding a Senior car. Putting the body on another chassis does mean it will never be a Packard again, as it's not financially viable to reverse. You're parting it out at that stage.

Once you know the "usual suppliers", most mechanical parts are available (a few things like 356 lifters and carb may be harder) - I got carb parts overnight when I had an inconveniently timed problem.

I'm going to suggest that if the goal is a "catalog car" like a Ford, Chevy, Model A, Mustang where fenders and grilles are mailed out same day, sell the Packard and get one. The volume of cars will never permit Packards to be like that.

Posted on: 2010/3/5 11:05
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
As the owner of one of these magnificent cars, although only a 2172 Super and not a Custom, I am strongly in the camp which recommends restoration rather than modifying. The frame if it is not rusted is more robust than anything you would be able to find as a replacement. The original 356CID engine is more than adequate to power the car and is a masterpiece of engineering. Keep it original if at all possible. You won't be disappointed. The restoration of the interior will be your biggest challenge.

Posted on: 2010/3/5 11:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
Quote:

Aden wrote:
... Also what would be a reasonable price for the motor ans tranny? I do know that the motor turns. Do not know if it runs.
Thanks again,
Aden

A 356 with overdrive transmission sold a few days ago on eBay for around $300.00. The seller would only guarantee that the engine turned freely. I believe this was a very low price for a 356 with transmission (if it had been within reasonable driving distance I would have bid myself).

Quote:

bkazmer wrote:
...(a few things like 356 lifters and carb may be harder)...

356 hydraulic lifters are being manufactured again and are easily obtainable from all the major vendors. I've had no problems obtaining any parts for my 356's. The 356 is also a very easy engine to work on (ideal for a 13 year-old).

I concur with bkazmer, clipper47 and Owen_Dyneto as regards modifying a model 2122.

Posted on: 2010/3/5 11:40
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

duh
See User information
Jd, that was not a 356 on eBay. Don't know the displacement exactly, but a 356's distributer is located directly under the center freeze plug, that one was too far forward. Man I miss Eric.

Aden, Do as you wish. Personally o would build it all with vintage parts. Hell stick a Ford f150 4x4 frame under it, with a powerstroke diesel and some stacked pipes.

Posted on: 2010/3/5 15:48
If it wasn't for those meddling kids, and their dog too...

1952 200 deluxe touring- its a goer...but not a stopper. Just ask my neighbour about her flower bed.
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
Fatmike, yes you're undoubtedly right re the '356' on eBay. I went back to take a second look but I'd already removed it from my 'watch list'. Glad I didn't bid, win and drive to Florida to get it... I would have been really, really unhappy.

Posted on: 2010/3/5 17:17
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Aden
See User information
Okay, So I have talked with my son Rick and he has thought about this pretty well for a 13 year old. He has indicated that the reason he wanted to buy the Packard was that "I want to build my own car" . He has now changed his mind and realized that driving a Packard to school everyday is probably not a good idea. Soooo he is leaning toward originality and getting something else as a driver!!!!

Thanks everyone for your input as it has helped me and Rick considerably in our restoration decisions.

Aden

P.S. We will need a steering wheel as the original was broken. Probably in an attempt to remove it. Other than that we have most everything else. Will post pictures soon.

Posted on: 2010/3/5 17:41
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I'm so glad to hear of your decision and don't think you'll ever regret it. The Custom Super Clipper is one of the very finest postwar Packards, a worthy successor to the kind of car that built their reputation prewar.

As to the steering wheel, if you can't find one there are quite a few outfits that can restore it.

Posted on: 2010/3/5 18:19
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

duh
See User information
Aden, while the Packard is an undoubted cool ride, I don't think it'd be a very good first car. But keep it as it can bring years of fatherly fodder for you and your son. If I could make a suggestion for a first car, go for a beetle...one of the old ones, not that new thing. VWs are a dime a dozen, almost all the years have interchangable parts, and are extremely reliable. My first was a 70 with a 1776cc motor. The body had 200k miles on it. I paid $300 bucks for it in 1999 and drove it every day until the fall of 04. It got around 48mpgs and all I ever replaced were tires and a battery. You can drop the motor in ten minutes, the transmission in fifteen. Most everything can be fixed with a screwdriver, two wrenches, and a hammer.

My suggestion for the steering wheel are try to get the original restored, like Owen said. Replacements are sometimes hard ti come by, and the original wheel would just add to the cars value.

Posted on: 2010/3/5 19:07
If it wasn't for those meddling kids, and their dog too...

1952 200 deluxe touring- its a goer...but not a stopper. Just ask my neighbour about her flower bed.
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved