Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
219 user(s) are online (140 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 218

David Timberlake, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 »

Wheel Cover and Hub Cap Identification Guide
Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
I created a Wheel Cover and Hub Cap Identification guide for helping people ID the correct ones for their Packard. This Guide is a work in progress, so I will update it when I have additional information and pictures. If you would like to help out with this, then let me know.

This is no where complete, and I am sure there are missing ones as was all the information that I had available at this time. So please no flaming arrows over the wall.

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/article/view.article.php?424

Thanks,

Posted on: 2010/3/10 4:53
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Re: Wheel Cover and Hub Cap Identification Guide
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Kev, here's some of the less-common 33-36 caps, not the greatest pictures but if you want to crop them and use them in your hub cap ID guide, feel free.

The first two are of the 33-36 Senior hubcaps used on the wooden artillery wheels and these are of different shape than those for the wire spoke wheels. The wheels of course used different cap script for Eight, Super Eight, and Twelve, and also two different styles per cap though I forget which way they went - I believe the sidemount caps said "Packard Eight" or whatever, and the road wheels said "Packard Motor Car Company Detroit Michigan USA" but might be the other way 'round, the parts book will clarify. You can see both scripts in the one photograph.

The third photo is the disc wheel cap, this photo from a 1933 model, same in 1934 and I'm uncertain w/o looking it up if the disc wheel option continued to 1936.

Attach file:

jpg  (52.95 KB)
177_4b97aafc270d5.jpg 873X599 px

jpg  (60.61 KB)
177_4b97ab0883355.jpg 1024X772 px

jpg  (40.83 KB)
177_4b97ab1b0df76.jpg 753X520 px

Posted on: 2010/3/10 9:22
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
also the hubcaps on my clipper have a red background behind the ships wheel, not black.....where there two different ones you could have back then?

Posted on: 2010/3/10 11:32
1937 Packard 138-CD Deluxe Touring Limousine
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Dave,

Thanks for the photos. If you look at the second picture you posted, I am curious why the spare tire has a different cap then the front wheel. If you notice the text on the cap is different. Any ideas?

Hank,

You are correct. I will just have to photo shop the red back in as obviously that picture was of a Wheel Cover that needed to be repainted. I also noticed something I have not been able to figure out. I have found two different versions of the '54 Clipper Hub Cap (aka Dog Dish). They both look the same but one if red backgrounded clipper text, with a black hex. The other one is painted in reverse (black background, red hex). I know the proper style for '54 was black Hex. Just curious if possible the '55 Clippers may have used the Red Hex version. More mysteries to be solved!

Any pictures you all of the various cap and covers have that are as straight/flat as possible would be helpful. The missing pre-war ones, the small ones used for the Disc wheels, and also any post-war dog-dish style ones are needed to fill out the list.

Thanks!

Posted on: 2010/3/10 12:07
-BigKev

Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Dave,
Thanks for the photos. If you look at the second picture you posted, I am curious why the spare tire has a different cap then the front wheel. If you notice the text on the cap is different. Any ideas?

Kev, perhaps I wasn't clear in my first posting, but I thought I had explained that well. On the 33-36 cars with wooden artillery wheels, the sidemount caps had different script than the road wheels.

Posted on: 2010/3/10 12:18
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Dave, thanks for the clarification on that. I missed that when I read you message.

Posted on: 2010/3/10 13:51
-BigKev

Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
I posted a updated revision to the "Guide". I added several additional Caps. Hopefully we can get folks to fill in the holes.

I also figured out the mystery of the 54-56 Dog Dish cap. '54 are reverse painted (Black Hex, Red Field), and 55-56 are Red Hex, Black Field. Other than that they are the same exact cap. Just different part numbers because of the paint scheme.

Posted on: 2010/3/10 14:07
-BigKev

Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Kev, you're off to a great start.

Black background shows of the chrome. Would Packard Blue better?

Showing caps in profile is good idea, where possible - might want to expand that to include others like the 46-50.

What about trim rings?

I'd like to see large images. You might be able to pick up some horizontal space by splitting descripttive text over two lines - that is, years/models on line 1 and style (cap/cover) on line 2. I'd also like to see hub caps in some sort of relative scale (to full wheel covers).

Tall orders, I know. Just consider it food for thought - proceed as you see fit.

Posted on: 2010/3/10 20:40
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Brian,

Most of the images I have are pretty small so that is why I made them all about the size I did. If people could get me hi-res versions of those, then I can redo the guide in a larger size.

I did those early year screw-on style caps in profile as they are all different. Some are external thread, some internal thread, and some are different diameters. Plus those look almost exactly the same from the front view.

Hope I can get some folks to send over some additional pictures to help improve the guide. I just ask that they be flat/straight-on pictures. Similar how the ones in the Guide are now.

Posted on: 2010/3/10 21:44
-BigKev

Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Kevin - sorry it's not a closeup but this car shows a relatively rare feature, both the inner and outer wheel trim rings outboard of the hub cap. But there is a 1941 LeBaron sport brougham locally with the same accessory rings and I'll get a better photo eventually.

The car is a 1941 One Eighty 1907, owned at the time by Bob Turnquist and it was, I believe, his last restoration. Great colors, same as my old 1941 120, Chicory over Grove Green, both metallics. And with factory AC no less.

Attach file:

jpg  (47.69 KB)
177_4b990b0708561.jpg 640X418 px

Posted on: 2010/3/11 10:24
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved