Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
267 user(s) are online (150 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 267

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1936 120 Gasket Question
Home away from home
Home away from home

Bill_OBrien
See User information
Beginner question for you experts!

Where the radiator hose comes into the top of the block is that the thermostat? I have a leak there and need to buy a new gasket.

Thanks!!

Posted on: 2010/3/19 3:58
-

( o\|||/o )

1936 Packard 120 4 Door Touring

Packard Registry Link
 Top  Print   

Re: 1936 120 Gasket Question
Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Bill, I believe you are referring to a housing that is fastened to the front top of the cylinder head with two cap screws, and where the top radiator hose connects this to the radiator top tank. If your '36 One-Twenty is like my '37 Six, then this is the thermostat housing. You can easily make a gasket using the bottom of the housing as a pattern, or get one from one of the many Packard parts suppliers. While you are replacing this gasket it would be a good time to make sure the thermostat is the correct rating, is functioning, and is fastened into the housing with a retainer. Keep in mind that this Packard has a non-pressurized cooling system. You should not have a pressure radiator cap unless the system has been modified. Good luck, and let us know how this job goes.

(o{I}o)

Posted on: 2010/3/19 9:58
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Agreed, thats a pretty basic gasket to make. It's just a paper/fiber gasket that you put a thin coat of gasket sealer on. You could also make one out of cork sheet.

You may even have luck taking the housing down to your local auto parts store, and they may have a gasket that they can match to the housing if you dont want to make one yourself.

There is a guy on eBay who lists a packet of 3 or 4 of them for about $10.

Also inspect your housing as I know the postwar ones were made of stamped sheet metal and could rust out. The one on my '54 did that, and I ended up buying a solid bronze replacement from one of the PI Chapters. Much sturdier.

Posted on: 2010/3/19 12:25
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
If you want to be old fashioned cut a gasket out of a cereal box. Lay the cardboard on the head and tap tap tap around with a small ball peen hammer.

For the Rockefellers in the crowd you can buy gasket paper at any parts store. Mark the gasket and cut out with scissors or an Exacto knife. Use a notebook paper punch to cut the bolt holes.

It's best to cut out the center and the bolt holes first then cut around the outside. The material is easier to handle that way.

Posted on: 2010/3/19 14:12
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

tbirdman
See User information
Nah, the Rockefellas go to Max Merrit

Posted on: 2010/3/19 15:21
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Bill_OBrien
See User information
Thanks for the tips fellas!! As soon as I get some free time this will get done...

Is the area around the water pump prone to leaks? I think I have a leak there also but I am not quite sure where the coolant is coming from...

Posted on: 2010/3/22 13:34
-

( o\|||/o )

1936 Packard 120 4 Door Touring

Packard Registry Link
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved