Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
205 user(s) are online (126 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 205

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: T/L motor problem 56 pat
Home away from home
Home away from home

Bowman Davis
See User information
For some reason my earlier reply didn't go out.
Yes I did put 12 volts to each terminal (very briefly) but the motor would not run from either terminal.
Today I placed the car on jack stands high enough to keep the tires off the ground. I also made temporary connections from the two broken wires to the limit switch on drivers side. I tested the connecttions at the switch to make sure it was powered up. I actuated the lever at control box by pushing it toward passenger side of car and could hear the solenoid (don't know which one) click and got 12volts at both terminals of the motor. I don't think I should be getting 12 volts at both terminals at the sasme time. I tried to get the other solenoid to operate by pulling the lever towards the drivers door but could get no response. when the lever is left in the middle of it arc of travel the box is clicking all of the time, that isn't norman is it? I think the motor is shorted because of having voltage present at both terminals. It would seem voltage should only be at the terminal for driving the motor in that direction.

Posted on: 2007/11/4 19:45
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Mr.Pushbutton
See User information
when the arm of the compensator control box (AKA--brain box, black box, delay switch) is in its center detent nothing should be happening. Nothing, no noise, no clicks. It is a spring-loaded bi-directional switch that is open when at its center detent. With the power on and the adjustible link-arm form the torsion bar disconnected, and you disconnect the orange and blue wires from the control box (the orange and white wires that go to the solenoids, not the limit switches on the leveler gear box) and hold the control lever either side of center (for the period of the time delay, 5-9 seconds)you should hear the relay inside the control box click. That indicates that the time delay and relay for that direction works. It should be sending a ground to the terminal on the solenoid via either the blue or orange wires.
I going to go out on a limb and suggest that you have a compound problem, a fried motor and some kind of control system problem, perhaps the control box. About 20 years ago I fixed a '56 Clipper with a fried motor for a guy. Took the motor off and took it to a good starter/alternator place, they understood what it was and what needed done. One week later we had the car going up and down.
It was music to his ears (at least that's what he said)

Posted on: 2007/11/4 21:41
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Bowman Davis
See User information
I agree with you. I believe the motor needs to be pulled out. I know a good repair shop for it if I can't fix it. Is there anything special to know about pulling it out. It looks like there is a bolt in the housing where the motor shaft goes into the compensator drive unit and must be removed to permit the motor to separate from the compensator. I"ll pull the brain box out and take a look at it on the bench.

Posted on: 2007/11/4 22:07
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joel Ray
See User information
Mr. PB, was that "Old Johns" car you are refering to from 20 years ago?

Posted on: 2007/11/8 10:32
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Mr.Pushbutton
See User information
P1--yes, it was.

For those that don't know the story, Packards1 contacted me about 20 years ago and had a customer with a '56 Clipper who needed to get their T/L system up and going. The owner was an old guy with a heavy Polish accent, the type of second-generation Polish-American who grew up in the enclave of Hamtramck, a small city surrounded by the city of Detroit, where from 1913-until-the early 90s you could still find Polish being spoken in shops and restaurants. Dodge main was in Hamtramck, and for decades it was almost impossible to get a job there unless you spoke Polish.
My client had this '56 Clipper that he bought because "his brudder-in-law built it at Packards" (One other note of explanation: Detroiters have a peculiar habit of referring to their place of employment or businesses in possessives e.g. "I work at Ford's", "He works at Chrysler's","lets go to K-mart's")
The owner of the Clipper was, like me named John, he referred to himself as "Oldt Cjohn" and me (then) as "Younk Cjohn" Spelled as such to try to give you an impression of this unique dialect) I went to his house, diagnosed the problem (the motor was fried, a first for me) I removed it from the car and took it to my favorite auto electric bench-rebuilder. One week later Younk Cjohn is back at Oldt Cjohn's house, I bolt the motor back in the car, hook it up, connect the battery, turn the switch on, stand on the back bumper and after the usual wait--CLICK, then the nice whir of the leveling motor.
Oldt Cjohn looked at me from his lawn chair and said

"OH, Younk Cjohn, that's music to mine ears"

To this very day whenever I see Marvin King he greets me by calling me "Younk Cjohn"

Posted on: 2007/11/8 16:39
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Love the story Mr PB. Brings a smile to my face. Also gives me some small insight into a little piece of american urban history, environment and demographics.

Other interesting anecdotes, at appropriate moments in the context of any posts, would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Posted on: 2007/11/8 19:31
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
Mr.PB, Great story. Many similar Polish folks across the river in Windsor where I grew up so can relate. Also used to go to the Hamtramck night spots. A Canadian businessman I knew used to buy the drinks if I and cop buddy of mine would go as body guards since he was courting a married Polish woman. He didn't realize that neither my buddy or I had any intention of protecting him if a fight ensued but it never came to that and we drank for free.

Posted on: 2007/11/8 22:31
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Mr.Pushbutton
See User information
Packards1--should I unleash some stories about Nestor L. at MCP activities meetings?

Posted on: 2007/11/9 7:13
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Mr.Pushbutton
See User information
Glad you liked that story. Oldt CJohn (the "J" sound being pronounced like the "CH" sound) didn't live in Hamtramck anymore, he had, and at the time I worked on his Clipper lived in a northern suburb that had seen a huge Polish influx after 1980, when General Motors brokered a gigantic deal to buy the Dodge main plant from Chrysler and a quarter of the rest of Hamtramck (homes, churches,stores)to build their "Poletown" plant--the new Cadillac front-wheel drive factory. One other famous quote from that repair job was when we settled up at the end of the job he cut me a check, and as he handed it to me said "Younk CJohn, you make oldt CJohn very happy"

Posted on: 2007/11/11 17:29
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved