Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
213 user(s) are online (141 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 213

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Battery Cut Off Switch
Home away from home
Home away from home

Paul E. Gallagher
See User information
Has anybody tried this Battery Brain Type III that Bill Hirsch sells for 6 volt? ($58) It seems like a lot of extra connections when a 6 volt car has to have perfect connections to run and start well. I bought a "Kelsey-Seers" (Dave C. help me with this name) starter switch new in the box for $1.00 at a swap meet. ( the guy said he had it since the seventies.) It has a small key that you can remove for safety/security. I was hopping to use it as a cut-off switch but I'm not sure how to wire it in.

Posted on: 2010/3/30 12:48
'49 Deluxe Eight - 23rd Series
 Top  Print   

Re: Battery Cut Off Switch
Home away from home
Home away from home

packard1949
See User information
I had one of those "geen" nob cut off switches-it basically fell apart. I now just take the + terminal off the battery. Much easier-

This is not recommended for those of you that have batteries under the seat.

Posted on: 2010/3/30 20:15
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Those little green thumbwheel gizmos also have pretty marginal current-carrying capacity for 6 volt applications. Best unit is still the Cole-Hersee rotary switch.

Posted on: 2010/3/30 20:32
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Jim
See User information
Watch the amp rating even on the Cole-Hersee. It is surprising how much this varies model to model. Essentially, they look the same but are rated different.

Posted on: 2010/3/31 0:21
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
I use one similar to the Green knob type. Mine is a black knob and much heavier duty than the popular green knob type that are sold nearly everywhere. Bought it at a swap meet many years ago for about 3 bucks. Probably not suitable for batteries that are difficult to access. I like it because it is simple.

If a simple knob type battery disconnect is used always besure to tighten the knob real tite by hand. On one or two occasions mine was not real tite and the engine stopped at low idle speed.

I wouldn't use the key type. Loose the key. corrosion from battery acid etc can cause problems.

Posted on: 2010/3/31 7:23
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Charles
See User information
On an old car I had, I put a connector on it I found at a local part store. If I remember correctly, it was two halves connected with a knob on a threaded rod. The halves had grooves that interlocked to hold it while the knob threaded into the bottom half to hold it together. You would loosen the knob and the top half would come off, disconnecting the battery. I believe the metal was pretty thick. Do you think this would be a good choice for 6v? Right now I just keep my positive terminal loose and pull it off to disconnect the battery.

Posted on: 2010/3/31 8:02
[url=h
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
On some if not all of the green knob types they two halves are separated by a nylon sleeve. If the sleeve is remove the connection between the two halves is much greater. Problem is that to disconnect you must remove green knob entirely and separate the two halve completely.

Posted on: 2010/3/31 12:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

packard1949
See User information
What is important is to have some way of disconnecting the battery when the car is not in use for safety reasons. Whether it is the time honored way of pulling a cable off the battery, green knob cut off or some other creative way.

Posted on: 2010/4/1 8:29
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Quote:

packard1949 wrote:
What is important is to have some way of disconnecting the battery when the car is not in use for safety reasons. Whether it is the time honored way of pulling a cable off the battery, green knob cut off or some other creative way.

Yes, yes, yes - and install your device on the ground terminal/cable if possible. I have a Cole Hersee rotary switch on my 37 Six. It is connected to the negative (hot) cable to the starter because the battery is under the seat and a ground (positive) connection would have been too complicated. I took extra care to assure the switch was properly installed.

(o{I}o)

Posted on: 2010/4/1 10:15
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Good advice, John. The one thing I see so often with underhood batteries that just scares me is when folks put the little green-knob crap-piece on the hot (non-grounded) battery terminal without noticing that it can often come within a very small fraction of an inch of the battery hold down, and should it make contact with a metal battery hold down which is of course grounded - POOF! Major excitement at the very least.

Posted on: 2010/4/1 10:41
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved