Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
206 user(s) are online (139 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 204

kevinpackard, BDeB, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Brakes Questions
Home away from home
Home away from home

jt fugere
See User information
55 Clipper... Done with the lowering and gonna tackle the brakes. Did a complete restore of a 55 400 so im assuming its very similar. I have the easamatic system. I have a new master cylinder, shoes and wheel cylinders. Can somebody elaborate on the functionality of the unit attached to the gas pedal. Is it basically an old school brake booster? How can i test it or inspect it? Thank you guys! Only other thing is im "plumbing" in line lock for the front but thats pretty standard on any brake system. Any advice is appreciated...

Posted on: 2010/4/12 12:20
 Top  Print   

Re: Brakes Questions
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Am not aware of anything connected to gas pedal regarding brakes.

If you refer to the black canister between the master cylinder and brake pedal, then that is the vacuum booster portion. Aside from the lubricant getting sticky and preventing the return spring from functioning well, a hose disconnecting internally or fluid leaking in due to a bad seal on MC piston, very little usually goes wrong there.

Two recurring themes with Easamatics (Bendix TreadleVac) seem to be 1) is there is only a single lip seal between the piston and vacuum so if any pitting of piston shaft or seal damage happens, the fluid can be sucked into booster section. 2) The compensating port to fluid reservoir valve is a single "blob" of rubber on a stalk and suspended on a spring. When the brakes are released and "home", this valve is tipped to open the port. It returns straight to close as soon as pedal pushed. If the spring is weak, damaged, missing or the rubber is hard, damaged or anything floats in the fluid and gets caught under a valve sealing surface there is no valve, no sealing, no pressure and no brakes. This has been reported to have happened very suddenly--good brakes the first stop and none the next.

The best recommendation would be to have the unit thoroughly checked and rebuilt by one who is extremely familiar with them and knows what to look for. They also have some parts not in the rebuild kit re-manufactured -- but only for their own use. There are some names on site. Barring that, check for any sign of pitting on the shaft, replace at the slightest indication and use a quality rebuild kit with fresh rubber. Check the small compensator valve spring very carefully for any signs of weakness or corrosion and make sure the end of the stalk is on the correct side of piston end ridge or lip when reinstalling--otherwise it will be broken off.

Posted on: 2010/4/12 12:48
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

jt fugere
See User information
Will do, thanks very much

Posted on: 2010/4/12 12:57
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Lowell Fast
See User information
I am having great difficulty replacing the LR brake drum on my 39-120. I had to use a heavy duty puller to get this drum off as the brake shoes seemed expanded and I could not retract them as the star adjuster was installed backward and could not be reached through the adjusting slot. The springs were installed backwards as well.
This car was "restored" and has several problems with the axle and seal that lead me to belive it was never driven.

Are all the rear brake shoes the same (length) or could someomeone have put 2 primaries on one side and 2 secondaries on the other side (which slips on easily)?

If there IS a difference, which is the longest, pimary or secondary?

CAN't move.

Lowell

Posted on: 2010/5/18 15:17
39_120_Jr8_4dr
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Chuckltd
See User information
Short shoe towards front of the car.

Posted on: 2010/5/18 15:42
Nothing says "America" like pistons the size of coffee cans turning dead dinosaurs into hydrocarbons!
Deluxe 8 Touring Sedan
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Lowell Fast
See User information
Thanks for the quick and concise answer.

Lowell

Posted on: 2010/5/18 15:45
39_120_Jr8_4dr
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Since the brakes were obviously but together in a questionable manner. I would recommend checking to make sure you actually have the right size shoes in general. Never know what someone could have thrown in there.

The sizes should be listed in the Specification section of the Service Manual.

Posted on: 2010/5/18 23:02
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved