Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
139 user(s) are online (99 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 139

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 »

turn signal switch
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

fern51
See User information
does anyone know of a part number for turn signal switch for 1951 200 deluxe from parts store

Posted on: 2010/4/12 18:21
 Top  Print   

Re: turn signal switch
Home away from home
Home away from home

Charles
See User information
I don't think you can find them in parts stores, but if you do find one, please post where you found it here. I need one too! Very rarely have I seen them on ebay with the last one (working used) going for over $100 IIRC.

Other option would be adding one of those period correct aftermarket turn signal switches that attach to the column.

Posted on: 2010/4/12 18:36
[url=h
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Packard part number is 416023 but seriously doubt you will find anything usable on a 51 at any regular parts store--probably a vendors only item.

Posted on: 2010/4/12 18:40
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Agreed, you would have to find either a good used one or a NOS one from a Packard specific vendor. As a rule the part stores are only going to carry items that fit a Packard if those parts were also common to other makes. Brakes, coils, points, caps (tune-up parts), etc.

I dont think you could even go into a local parts store an get a turn signal switch for any car. I would gather that kind of thing would be a dealer only item, and the local Packard dealer around here has lousy hours as it's never open when I drive by!

Posted on: 2010/4/12 20:07
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
Don't panic, those switches are sturdy little items. Is the handle just flopping uselessly? Pull the wheel,unscrew the lever, take out the screws that hold the switch, and pull the switch out an inch or two. There is enough slack in the cables to do this. The little hub where the lever screws in is held onto a tapered shaft by a little nut. You just need to tighten that nut til the slop goes away. A bit of loctite is not remiss. Then while you are there, you can clean the contacts with contact cleaner or some very fine sandpaper. Clean everything up and lube moving bits with a drop of oil or white grease. You are ready for another 59 years.

If the thing is really broken (I've only seen one in 19 years of Packard servicing), then PM me. Ross

Posted on: 2010/4/12 20:58
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Charles
See User information
Ross, good to know. I was hoping that there was a way to "rebuild" the switch. I was actually going to post it when I got around to taking it out of my car. Fern51, do you have the "flopping" syndrome like I do? Sounds like Ross has the fix for it!

Posted on: 2010/4/13 6:51
[url=h
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

fern51
See User information
no, not floppy, just won't go far enough up to activate right turn signal, left it works just fine. is there a way to adjust this?

Posted on: 2010/4/13 22:52
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Charles
See User information
Perhaps the switch itself has shifted in it's housing. You will probably have to remove the wheel and take a look. If you post a picture, I'm sure someone will be able to see what is wrong.

Posted on: 2010/4/14 7:14
[url=h
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

fern51
See User information
took out switch , couple of loose screws, went on and tightened jam nut ,cleaned contacts reinstalled and is working better now. will lock in both left and right detents now. right blinker works good , left indicator light on gauge lights up for second then goes very dim. light in front blinking bright , in back not so bright , am thing poor ground now at this point. thanks for the help.

Posted on: 2010/4/18 19:23
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Ground is the most likely but check the tail lights and parking lights also for equal briteness. There are some replacement bulbs that can be inserted so the filaments are reversed. If the standard flashers such as used then has the wrong current draw on one side from unequal filaments, it will do the same thing.

Posted on: 2010/4/18 19:47
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved