Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
138 user(s) are online (75 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 137

DM37, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Its ok...
Home away from home
Home away from home

jt fugere
See User information
I have seen a real aversion to modifying Packards. It generates interest in Packards amongst different crowds and not every packard owner has the funds to restore them to factory specs or even wants too. The mind is like a parachute, it only functions when open. And remember... Nobody lives forever, your old Packard might soon be my resto-mod. Chin up guys, Packards still drop panties, even if they're modified.

Posted on: 2010/4/21 1:16
 Top  Print   

Re: Its ok...
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Jim
See User information
Quote:

JT wrote:
I have seen a real aversion to modifying Packards. It generates interest in Packards amongst different crowds and not every packard owner has the funds to restore them to factory specs or even wants too. The mind is like a parachute, it only functions when open. And remember... Nobody lives forever, your old Packard might soon be my resto-mod. Chin up guys, Packards still drop panties, even if they're modified.

Your right JT, its ok...

Its ok to restore and preserve a Packard, ok to modify, and ok to do just about what ever you want to with your Packard.

With that said, you will have to understand that in most instances, the traditional clubs were instituted and structured to promote the preservation of the Packard Motor Car Company and it's products. Do not expect the club scene to be terribly open minded in this respect. Why should they be, they make no secret about their purpose and mission. It would be like going to an AA meeting and wondering why no one wants to go to the bar afterwards.

Packard info., as I have said before, is a bit different in that it is an open venue for all Packard enthusiasts. I believe you posted in the modified forum a while back that a modification was going to stir up some folks. As I replied, it is the modified forum and totally appropriate.

In the same regard, there are numerous forums full of folks that are highly interested in preservation. They too deserve to do as they please. As much as you enjoy modification, they (we) enjoy preservation. I don't think there is any problem with modifying a Packard. There are no fewer than what, 3 or 4 cars published here right now for sale and cheap at that. A couple of sellers are so dismayed at how little these cars will fetch that they are threatening to scrap if they don't sell. Heck, one was a runner for what, $1,200 bucks. That's a lot of bang for the buck.

I have no problem with what you or others share in the modified discussion forum. I have no problem with what others share in the preservation forums. As you said, its ok!

You do not have to restore your car, and I don't have to rod mine, but we can still have fun here night after night!

Have fun,
Jim

Posted on: 2010/4/21 2:02
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Phil Randolph
See User information
I suppose on what you call it, is it "modding" or improving? On my 38 coupe I added an R11 OD, 3 point seat belts, Radial tires, a dual chamber master cylinder and a 6 to 12 volt converter (for a AM/FM radio and other 12V doodads). Did I modify or add improvements?

Posted on: 2010/4/21 8:35
1938 1601 Club Coupe
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
JT, I don't understand your comment that you "have seen a real aversion to modifying Packards". Because not all of us are interested in resto-mods or "dropping panties" does not constitute an "aversion". Has anyone told you that they don't like what you are doing to your car? My Packard has radial tires, halogen lights, and seat belts so I guess it is modified also and I won't be invited to Pebble Beach (darn!). What I won't do is install a big block Chevrolet engine and a Mustang front end etc. When I pass on that indeed may or may not happen but I won't be here to worry about it so in the meantime I'll try to keep it mostly original and the way I like it while I am it's custodian. There is a forum on this site for the discussion of modifications of Packards. The fact that the modifications forum exists demonstrates the webmasters tolerance for all aspects of the Packard hobby. Enjoy your Packard in whatever form you wish and allow those interested in preservation and restoration, to whatever level, the same courtesy. We are all here to learn and to help.
This site remains The Most Comprehensive Free Online Reference for Packard Owners in whatever form.

Posted on: 2010/4/21 9:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Charles
See User information
In my opinion, anything you do to your car that was not on it originally is a mod. Whether you are adding seat belts for safety, or air conditioning. If the car didn't come with it originally, then you have modified it. Whether it is for good or bad, that is up to the owner. It's their car and they can do what they want with it. I consider myself a purist, but I also know what I have to work with. Sometimes you have to compromise in order to get a car on the road again. If you live in a hot climate and the car would be undrivable without air conditioning (and you can't afford one with vintage air) go ahead and add it. If it makes your experience better, I'm all for it. Would I do it on my car, probably not. Will I put modern wire in instead of cloth type because it's cheaper, I might. That would be a mod too. Of course, with my definition a majority of the cars out there are "modded" in some way.

If you have a car that you want to modify or hot rod, I say go for it. The only time I ever have a problem is when someone takes a restored car and then hot rods it (saw it on Boyd Coddington's show).

Just my (not worth it though)

Also keep in mind that BigKev is modding his car too.

I think it is pretty cool to see you try to push the existing system into something more. Your experiments show where the weaknesses might be in the car and how to overcome them. Keep it up! Let's see where you take it next!

Posted on: 2010/4/21 9:12
[url=h
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

jt fugere
See User information
Hope I didn't offend anybody. This is the friendliest site I have ever been associated with. I have received more knowledge here than anywhere. I did not mean I have seen an aversion to mods on this site necessarily. More as a general statement. Some people have really freaked out on me. None of you guys. I appreciate all the input and see everybody's point of view, which i respect. Happy Packarding!

Posted on: 2010/4/22 20:35
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

duh
See User information
I hear you JT...

Opinions are like a**holes. Everyone has one, and everyone else's stinks. Here's mine of course. Modify it. Split benches. Bomber seats. Dashes from completely different makes. Engine swaps. Tranny swaps. Glasspacks. Lake pipes. Cheater slicks. Lighting holes. Sectioning. Chopping. Swapped trim. I'm getting turned on here...

I do understand the "factory spec" crowd. Some models deserve preserving. But- if everyone preserved every one, noone would have anything different. And to me, that would be the biggest shame.

When customization took off in the early 50's, car designers and engineers would hang out like talent scouts at diners and drive-ins to spot what folks where doing. Then retaining their new knowledge, they would push some things into production. We have early rodders to thank for many of the factory options found on all the cars of the 50'a-70's.

While these vehicles have been long out of production, it doesn't mean we shouldn't soldier on with their improvements. Add your halogen lights. Your disk brakes. Your seatbelts. Throw a blower in there. Slam that torsion level system. Paint it neon periwinkle. And if some old codger puts in his teeth to tell you off, give him a double tall man and remind him it was our hero's of WW2 that brought us the rights and inspiration to mod/rod our vehicles.

Posted on: 2010/4/22 22:17
If it wasn't for those meddling kids, and their dog too...

1952 200 deluxe touring- its a goer...but not a stopper. Just ask my neighbour about her flower bed.
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved