Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
106 user(s) are online (43 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 106

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Breakerless ignition conversion - ever try it?
Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Those of u that lack the near zero skill required to service ingnition points and absolutely positively must have some alternate i find rather intrigueing to say the least.

However, if a breakerless or e-ignition system is desired then be sure to find something that is commonly available AND HAS BEEN commonly available thru out the years. That would be some GM, F or C PRODUCTION e-ignition system that REPLACEMENT PARTS CAN BE READILY attained.

LEt me put it another way:
Converting to some hotrod or aftermarket general purpose type e-ignition system will leave u stranded for parts availability in the future just like u're stranded now for points.

Do search in this forum on Ford tpf or tpm conversion. There may be other alternatives to the TPI too. PRODUCTION CAR systems. Not custom hotrod or aftermarket.

Posted on: 2010/5/26 10:40
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Mal120NZ
See User information
Hi Dave,

I have recently purchased and fitted a Pazon Ignition Booster to my 1936 120B Conv coupe. This device is made in New Zealand and exported to the USA. It is available for Pos or Neg earth and runs on 6v or 12v. It is about half the size of a pack of cigarettes so easy to hide out of the way. The beauty is that you still use your points but they only run milliamps through them so do not burn, and the gap is no longer critical. The condensor can be left in position or removed, although Pazon recommend to remove it with the Pos earth unit. Should the unit ever fail (it has a 7.5 year warranty), you simply reinstall the condensor and you are away again.
This unit is cheaper than an Ignitor and works with any 6V or 12V system, and you can order either Pos or Neg earth modules. I feel the spark is better, the car starts quicker and I don't have to worry about burnt points when the condensor goes weak.
Here is a link to Pazon's website:
http://www.pazon.com/ignition/energy-booster-ignitions/
Cheers Mal from NZ

Posted on: 2010/5/26 21:12
Mal

Drive 'em and enjoy 'em
[/color]
1936 120B Convertible Coupe RHD
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
I believe this is the same unit that NW Packards Chapter of PI sells.

Posted on: 2010/5/26 21:47
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

DaveSmith
See User information
thank you to all, i have checked some of the parts sites and have found a few E.I units that would work. i am not interested in a permanent alteration. just something for reliable use over a period of time. i currently have 2 sets of points as spares. but since i drive my car about 20 miles per week who knows how long they will last. i was mainly looking to see if anyone else has switched over and to see the results.

thanks, Dave

Posted on: 2010/5/30 18:09
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Typical service life of a set of ignition points should be 10,000 - 12,000 miles.

Posted on: 2010/5/30 19:06
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Michal
See User information
I'll offer up my $.02 on this one: I maintain a fleet of vintage delivery trucks and have found myself moving towards Pertronix boxes. I'm a traditionalist and stick with OEM for the most part but removing the ignition as a likely culprit when troubleshooting is nice. I think we're running about 5 of them and haven't had any trouble. I might have even left a key on once... I had the chance to talk to a tech there and they have pretty much built versions to fit everything out there: 12V, 6V, Pos Ground, Neg Ground, etc. I'm putting one in a '59 Austin Healey Bugeye Sprite this summer.

The Kiwi box does look pretty neat and runs a little less than most Pertronix kits so I'd give it a closer look.

Posted on: 2010/5/31 0:31
Michal

Proud owner of a '48 2272 but I really wanted a club sedan?
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved