Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
104 user(s) are online (68 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 103

dick29, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

fuel filter
Just popping in
Just popping in

ephratah service center
See User information
I have a 53 Patrician that is a customers and have installed an electric fuel pump per His request. The pump is running out of fuel when you run it down the road I can here the pump cavitate and car will die I just coast to the side of the road and pump will pick up fuel again and I can then proceed.
Does any one know if there is a fuel filter type sock on the end of the pick up in the tank?

Posted on: 2010/5/21 6:02
 Top  Print   

Re: fuel filter
Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
No sock, just a curved tube that dips down to the bottom of the tank. Two thoughts on your troubles:

1) a pinhole drawing in air somwhere in the line.

2) a floater; I had a 52 that would just stop from time to time. Turns out it was a dead wasp in the tank that would plug the pickup tube in the tank. After the car died and the suction went away he would float off again until the next random incident. That was a head scratcher.

Good luck!

Posted on: 2010/5/21 7:00
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Check the gas cap vent.

Posted on: 2010/5/21 10:30
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I had precisely the same symptom with my 34 Eight, though with the mechanical pump. Turned out to be what Ross calls a "floater"; some idiot (not me this time) used silicone gasket cement on the large filler neck flange on the side of the tank and a piece came off inside the tank and would periodically get into the suction uptake. When the car sat for a few minutes it would free itself, and off for another bunch of miles. Easy fix, but the filler neck flange is working in close quarters to get off.

Silcone gasket goo is great for some things, but NEVER use it for gasoline tank and related applications.

Posted on: 2010/5/21 10:54
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
I agree with the others. Drop the tank (really easy to do on a 51-54), and wash out the tank. If you are using a electric pump, make sure you put a filter between that and the tank. Any rust debris will eat up the diaphragms in a electric pump.

If the mechanical pump is being used also, make sure that the screen in the bottom of the pump is not getting clogged.

Posted on: 2010/5/21 20:09
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joel Ray
See User information
Years ago I had the pinhole in the fuel line bit. Same symptoms as you have. I put compressed air into the gas tank and it blew the hole open in the line. Up until then, no leaks. My guess for the pinhole leak is where the line meets the frame by the left front tire.

Posted on: 2010/5/23 8:11
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved