Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
190 user(s) are online (104 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 187

moodydavid16, dallas, TxGoat, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

Re: Engine Rebuild
Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Gary '54 was the first year for a modern "Key-Start" on a Packard. Previous years had a pedal start. The starter switch was actually mounted on the carburetor and controlled by the throttle linkage. When the car started, the vacuum created would move a little metal ball in the switch and then break the current flow to the starter.

A lot of time that little ball would get corroded and stuck, and people would then bypass it with a momentary switch, or replace the ignition switch with a modern version.

If you take the carb switch apart, it can be cleaned and put back into operation. Assuming your OE carb wasnt replaced with something else.

Posted on: 2010/5/29 11:33
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

acolds
See User information
Another old trick to hold gasket to oil pan is to use thread at the pan bolt holes when bolts are tighten the thread breaks and can be pulled out. Always worked for me easy to use on transmission pan gaskets also.

Posted on: 2010/5/29 11:50
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

gary
See User information
Anybody have an idea what the 327 engine weighs?

Posted on: 2010/5/29 16:21
`53 Patrician 400
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
From specs, with auto trans from 1010 to 1050# depending on which version. Probably subtract 2-250# for trans and doubt that includes bolt on stuff.

Posted on: 2010/5/29 16:38
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Your going to need a 2,000 lb rated engine lift, for safety margin, that has long extended legs. Those regular standard lifts are just not made to handle all that weight that extends so far out and can topple forward. Those straight-eights are long motors (40" long).

You can do a lot of work on the motor with it in the car. Removing the front fenders gives you a lot of access as there is no inner structure that gets in the way.

Posted on: 2010/5/29 17:02
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

gary
See User information
this sounds like a question for super-HH56, but are there any specs out there for the 327 oil pump, such as end play or other. We've got the engine and trans out of the car and are going to be looking for the source of the knock. one disturbing thing we've found is the oil is damn near water thin, i believe i read that 20-W oil was originally spec'd for the car but this oil was not pretty..

Posted on: 2010/6/12 5:18
`53 Patrician 400
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Nothing I see on end play but as the 51-4 service manual gives gear teeth to bore as .005 or less and .003 or less between gears and bottom cover plate, any play would have to be small to none to keep those specs.

As I recall the cover plate gasket is almost like tissue paper. Believe there was mention of a rebuild where someone had cut a gasket out of regular material which caused problems so that might be something to make sure is OK.

Posted on: 2010/6/12 9:32
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

gary
See User information
We've decided to,and have accomplished removing the engine and transmission on my `53 Pat. Next question, in looking to drain the coolant from the head and jackets before turning the engine upside down, I've found one plug off to the side and underneath the 4th expansion plug. Is there any other plug that we have missed, to finish draining the coolant?

Posted on: 2010/6/18 17:15
`53 Patrician 400
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
If the plug you're referring to is on the driver's side, at the base of the cooling jacket near the forward end of the starter motor, that's the only one I'm aware of.

Posted on: 2010/6/18 17:17
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

gary
See User information
thanks OD, i believe we're talking about the same one...gb

Posted on: 2010/6/18 17:23
`53 Patrician 400
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved