Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
228 user(s) are online (126 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 228

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Packin31 needs some advice
Home away from home
Home away from home

Tom (Packin31)
See User information
Hello Gent and Ladies,

As you are aware I finally got old Bessie up and running over the weekend but have run into some snags. The oil pan has some small cracks in a few areas and only leaks while running.

This is where I need some advice. I can drop the pan and hopefully find a place locally to weld the cracks or send it off to Dave's contact. Only down side to this is now my garage will be tied up with a car not running once again. I planned on getting it running so I can pull her out of the garage to work on the fenders.

Do I pull the pan and tie the garage up?

Or wait until I get the other parts painted?

Thanks

Posted on: 2010/6/1 15:16
Tom
1931 833 468 Coupe
Packard Registry|1931 Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Re: Packin31 needs some advice
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Can you put some kind of miracle goo in the crack temporarily without risking more damage so you can work while the weather is nice and send it for repair when it's time to park it.

Posted on: 2010/6/1 15:59
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
Yeah, there is a "pan patch" material that is available at NAPA, but I don't recall the commercial name. Last year a guy rolled up to my place in NV with a leaking pan, went to NAPA, put it on and then drove his truck all the way to Indiana that way.

Craig

Posted on: 2010/6/1 16:21
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I think I'd avoid any miracle patches, welding an old cast aluminum oil pan is tricky enough without have some patch material in the crack which would probably have to be burned out first before welding the aluminum.

Posted on: 2010/6/1 17:26
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tom (Packin31)
See User information
Have some good news. The shop that did the metal work for me he also has the capability of welding aluminum.

He said he can have it done within a week. But Wifey wants to take a road trip to Indiana this weekend.

Maybe I will get it down tonight and drop it off by him next weekend I guess. A week or two won't kill me....In the meantime I can do some touch where the paint chipped on the hinges and accidental drop of the door as we were carrying it into the garage to hang it on the car.

Posted on: 2010/6/2 13:58
Tom
1931 833 468 Coupe
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Tom,

Wrap the bottom of the block with a plastic bag to keep and dust/dirt/critter from get up in there while the pan is off. Oil attracts dust/dirt like a magnet!

Posted on: 2010/6/2 15:58
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tom (Packin31)
See User information
Kev,

Thanks for the tips. Sure will.

I got the pan down last night. Hopefully drop it off tomorrow since I may be taking the day off.

Posted on: 2010/6/3 5:48
Tom
1931 833 468 Coupe
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved