Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
220 user(s) are online (141 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 220

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

Re: Dual Quad Intake
Just popping in
Just popping in

outlawmws
See User information
Thanks for the adived on stripping.

I have positivly ID'ed the manifold. It is for a 55 Caribbean 352 V8, or the 1956 374 V8. Cuurent paint is clearly not original.

I removed the 3 studs it had and all the threaded carb holes have good threads and the threads have been chased.

I attached a pic.

Attach file:

jpg  (157.79 KB)
2797_4c1e48dc3b597.jpg 984X819 px

Posted on: 2010/6/20 11:59
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jack Vines
See User information
Yes, It's a Packard Caribbean intake.
No, you'll have no problem selling it. I'm guessing you have several PMs asking for first-grabs.
Maybe, you should post your asking price here first to save yourself eBay fees.

thnx, jack vines

Posted on: 2010/6/20 12:42
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

outlawmws
See User information
OK, I'm asking $800 including shipping.

That last one on Eprey went for $618, plus shipping, was heavily rusted and needed the carb mounting surfaces resurfaced at least, and had heavy corrosion in the port runners. This one is relatively clear of rust, the runners are more rust free than rusty, and that is faint/light. This one clearly was not stored outside in the rain.

If it does not sell very soon, I will strip it down, using my Electrolysis tank, which will strip off the gold paint someone saw fit to spray it down with, as well as any rust it does have, and make it as near new as you can get a fifty year old piece of CI. (I don't know what I was thinking when I mentioned bead blasting, I stopped doing that years ago. Habit and not using the E tank for a few years I guess)

Posted on: 2010/6/20 19:04
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Reyman R. Branting
See User information
This may be a bit off topic, but could you post some information on your electrolysis tank? If it removes rust without damaging anything, I want to learn more. Thanks,
Bernardi

Posted on: 2010/6/27 11:51
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
A reasonably sized commercial yet affordable tank would be interesting. If you do a google search for "electrolysis tank" several articles come up with some how to's for the do it yourselfer. Some are interesting and practical--others maybe a stretch or too elaborate.

Posted on: 2010/6/27 12:00
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
A bottle of Evapo-rust would do wonders on that without having to mess around with water and electricity!

Posted on: 2010/6/27 12:14
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Reyman R. Branting
See User information
Thanks, I'll check them both out.

Bernardi

Posted on: 2010/6/27 12:44
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

outlawmws
See User information
OK, Electrolysis:

Parts needed;

Plastic tank
Iron rods, screen, or other sacrificial iron (DON'T use SS!)
Spa or swimming pool PH + (Not acid)
Battery charger (Really big parts may require a bigger power source. I've read where a DC welder was used, but that was for an entire frame)

The Plastic reservoir needs to hold both the parts AND the sacrificial iron, (This is the Anode)

Small parts may only need a 5 gal bucket, larger parts perhaps a Rubbermaid tub, very large parts a plastic 55 gal drum, full frames - make a shallow 'pool" using plastic sheet, with something to support the sides, (Think oversized water bed frame) and a grid of rebar.

You want the anode to have mostly line of site to the part to be de-rusted. Scrap steel/iron, rebar... I'm about to redo my anode setup using 2x4 heavy wire screen (No plating here!)

Make a way to support the part to be de-rusted, so it does not contact the anode grid. This could be steel support wire or bricks on the bottom to support the part.
Fill with water and add maybe ? cup of the spa chemical to a couple or three gallons of water. (This is not particularly a fussy ratio)

Connect the battery charger, + Positive clip to the Anode, and the - Negative to the part to be de-rusted. (Backwards is a disaster!) - Be SURE to keep the charger clips out of the water. (Plan for this when you set it up!)

Turn the charger on. If you have a high and low setting, start with low. If that does not get the bubbles going, set it to high. The Bubbles are your indicator it's working (It may take a few or ten minutes). If is still doesn't work, make sure you have continuity to your part and anode. (Paint is a good insulator, so is heavy rust...)

This will usually strip paint, along with the rust. If the process slows or stops, shut down and pull the anode out, and scrub off the rusty gunk, and reassemble.

Best of all this is a non toxic process with one exception.

DO NOT DO THIS IN AN ENCLOSED SPACE AND DO NOT DO IT NEAR A COMBUSTION SOURCE. - THOSE BUBBLES? HYDROGEN GAS... REMEMBER THE ZEPPELIN FIRE? HYDROGEN GAS...

Also note that this is a SLOW process, and will ordinarily leave a black residue that will usually scrub off with a stiff nylon scrub brush.

The solution will last indefinitely, but will evaporate. Just add plain water, the spa chemical does not evaporate. If you think you are done with the solution you can dump it almost anywhere.

Use this for iron and steel parts only!

Posted on: 2010/6/30 1:12
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

outlawmws
See User information
FYI, the one in the pics I posted has been sold, and shipped.

Posted on: 2010/7/11 20:11
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jack Vines
See User information
As I said, it didn't take long to sell. Was the buyer on this forum or somewhere else?

jack vines

Posted on: 2010/7/11 21:14
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved