Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
152 user(s) are online (109 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 151

Don B, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: my intro
Just popping in
Just popping in

joel_t
See User information
I am still here almost done working on the 47 just wanted to say hello
and also does anyone know what bolt pattern my 39 is i would like some spare modern rims to roll it around on while i refurbish the orig's & no i don't want to leave it on jack stands i HAVE to have it rolling incase i need to move it in or out of the garage

Posted on: 2011/3/8 22:35
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

fred kanter
See User information
As the serial number is 2253, this car is the 1253rd one built. In general the next model year's cars were started to be built in late summer/early fall just like now. It is and it should be called a 1939, there is no maybe on this issue.

The '39 Super 8's were essentially a junior 120 series chassis and body with a Senior series 8 motor. Even the transmission was a jujnior series. The heritage of this basic motor is from the first series 8, 1924, with 384 cu in. It became the Eight Deluxe/Super Eight and continued until 1936. In 1929 the Eight was introduced with 320 Cu In. The 1937-9 Super 8 was the continuation of the Eight.
Many parts like pistons, valves adn the basic crankshft remained identical from 1929-39

I differ with the opinion that it was an advanced engine in 1939. It was, in fact, 10 years old and very outdated with its long stroke, inefficient flathead design, separate water jacket cover prone to internal rusting, heavy valve levers which limited rpm due to intertia, rod bearings prone to wear and other outdated features.

Smoothness, quiet operation, low end torque, yes

Future engines did not adopt any of the above features, if it were truly advanced they would have.

Posted on: 2011/3/8 23:36
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

flackmaster
See User information
the bolt circle is 5" with a 3 3/8" center hub hole. I have a set of chevy truck rims that I use as rollers, but as Jim stated, one has to drill a hole for the pin that protrudes from the brake drum. You'll see...
Pretty easy to find a set of rollers in 15" rims, but NOT easy to find an extra set of 16".

Posted on: 2011/3/8 23:46
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Peter Packard
See User information
For pre 1954 Junior Packards, I have used Ford 15 inch 5 stud pre 1980, have also used forties, fifties and Sixties Junior Chrysler/ Plymouth wheels. I have used 38 Junior Packard 16 inch wheels on my 53 packard to wear out some older tyres. Look up the SAE journals (Google?) as I am sure that Packard used the same PCD (Pitch Circle Diameter) stud pattern as many other US Auto manufacturers. Peter Toet

Posted on: 2011/3/9 4:20
I like people, Packards and old motorbikes
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

joel_t
See User information
thank you for the info i did do a search and could not find info anything before 51

another question what is the exact purpose of that little pin on the brake reason i ask my 47 Plymouth came with a spare for 8 years of driving i never needed it once i had a flat on the highway i took the spare out thinking nothing of it it is identical to my rims in every way except it does not have that little hole i was puzzled for a couple of minutes so i had to break that stub off and put the rim on or this shady looking tow truck guy would have towed me and i wasn't going to let him touch my car
oh how i cannot wait to work on my old girl
im heading to the airport see you guys in a few

Posted on: 2011/3/9 7:40
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
..another question what is the exact purpose of that little pin..

To facilitate mounting the wheel; mounting the wheel on the pin aligns the holes in the wheels with the threaded holes in the drum. Chrysler and others used the same method for many years.

PS - removing the "pin" will of course upset the balance of the brake drum. It's close to the center so the effect is probably quite small, but you might want to consider at some point having the tires and wheels balanced WITH the brake drum to restore whatever imbalance was created by removing the pin.

Posted on: 2011/3/9 8:49
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

fred kanter
See User information
"For pre 1954 Junior Packards, I have used Ford 15 inch 5 stud pre 1980, have also used forties, fifties and Sixties Junior Chrysler/ Plymouth wheels. I have used 38 Junior Packard 16 inch wheels on my 53 packard to wear out some older tyres. Look up the SAE journals (Google?) as I am sure that Packard used the same PCD (Pitch Circle Diameter) stud pattern as many other US Auto manufacturers. Peter Toet"

Most pre-80 Fords use 4 1/2" BC wheels which will not fit Packards except a few odd models such as '40-'41 Sixes, but the Fords do not have the extra 5v alignment holes. Junior MOpar wheels are 4 3/4" BC and while many have the alignment pin holes they wil not fir the 5" Packard drums.

Buicks from the early '40's through perhaps the late '50's had 15", 5" BC wheels with the needed alignment pin holes and fit Packards just fine.

'56 series did not have the alignment pin and most nay 5"BC wheel will fit, Buick, Caddy, Lincoln, GM heavy duty such as big wagons etc.

Posted on: 2011/3/9 21:23
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
For another point of reference.... 1953 Juniors (and prior), and 1954 Super Clippers use the same size wheels with the larger center hole, and larger bolt pattern.

1954 Junior (expect Super Clippers), use the same size wheels as the 55 Juniors. Small center hole, and 4 1/2 bolt pattern.

For anyone needing the first style, I have 4 spare rims sitting in my shed taking up space that I will give away for free. But you must pickup as I don't want to deal with trying to ship them. I bought these when I first got my car, and I quickly discovered they didn't fit my car. That is how I discovered the difference in 1954 Super Clipper rims, vs the Deluxe and Special Clippers rims.

Posted on: 2011/3/9 22:51
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved