Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
209 user(s) are online (135 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 209

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Special tool J-5981?????? For window handles?
Home away from home
Home away from home

patgreen
See User information
Looking in the service manual under body, special tool J-5921 is suggested for removing door handles. Two questions:

Same tool for window cranks?

Is this tool anything more than a steel 3/4 inch putty knife that has been bent a bit so as not to gouge the door panel?

Than for filling in the gaps!

Posted on: 2010/6/25 14:46
When two men ride the same horse, one has to be in the back...
 Top  Print   

Re: Special tool J-5981?????? For window handles?
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Yes, same tool - J-5981 - is used for the window regulator crank handles as well as the inside door handles.

Years ago, I found a Snap-On tool (59638A) in my dad's old tool box that works just as well, but I can't find any info about it online. This double-ended tool is a 1" wide blade of metal that's bent with an offset to provide a handle - no matter which end you're using. The notch that fits the Packard handles measures just about 1/2" wide and 9/16" deep.

Some of the tools designed for pushing the wire clip off of GM window crank handles (and inside door handles on some vehicles) may also work.

I have a Steck 16000 Door Handle Tool (shown below) that I use on GM window crank handles. The innermost notch has similar dimensions as the Snap-On tool.

Click to see original Image in a new window

Lisle 18600 Window and Door Clip Remover/Installer looks similar to the Steck 1600.

If you make your own, make sure the blade is free of burrs and sharp edges.

Posted on: 2010/6/25 15:38
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I have a tool similar to that shown and it works but mine is not the same brand and is a bit too wide. The Packard clip is different than GM in that it doesn't completely remove like the wire clip but just has to be slightly pushed back to release.

You can have either of two type clips as first picture shows. Other pictures are of the Packard handle. Slot needs to be 7/16 to 1/2 wide to just clear the square handle post and maybe 1/2 to 5/8 deep. Important that it not be so wide as to miss one side of small ears on clip that it has to catch to push back. If you have the type A clip, and only push one side, the ear can bend or break before the clip releases.

While a tool with a slot makes it a lot easier, if you're careful not to slip and risk scratching or tearing something, clips can be released with two small thin screwdrivers.

Attach file:

jpg  (7.50 KB)
209_4c25175862d77.jpg 376X222 px

jpg  (31.14 KB)
209_4c2517789f6ed.jpg 992X545 px

jpg  (20.70 KB)
209_4c25178667c3a.jpg 545X545 px

Posted on: 2010/6/25 15:55
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

patgreen
See User information
The picture in the manual does not show the business end of the tool, just where to use it.

I take it that the objective is to push both ends of the clip back a bit from the "axle" that it clips to, while simultaneously prying the handle away from the door?

Do these tools abound on some secret part of the internet, or do most folks make their own, or do most favor two screwdrivers?

Posted on: 2010/6/25 20:41
When two men ride the same horse, one has to be in the back...
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The operation of the tool is as you mentioned. The type Brian and I have are readily available at many parts stores in the misc tools or upholstery tools section. Mine is the KD 431 such as Sears sellshttp://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00993939000P?vName=Sears%20Pro&cName=Professional&sName=Mechanics%20Tools%20&%20Auto%20Supplies&sid=IDx20070921x00003d&srccode=cii_13736960&cpncode=17-56950976-2

You can make one by slotting a piece of sheet metal (around 16ga or approx 1/16" or less) about an inch wide and several inches long. A putty knife would work but might be hardened and hard to slot. Bend it as shown in the manual. Narrow is better because if it scratches, handle will cover them. The KD tool is just a bit wide and needs care when you slide it behind the handle so it won't scratch the painted door panel (or snag the upholstery if that is what you have) above and below the handle.

NOTE: This one is shown backward so you could see the number. Normally, the door handle would fit into the slight recess of the tool and smooth side would be toward panel.

Attach file:

jpg  (26.92 KB)
209_4c256210da65a.jpg 800X471 px

Posted on: 2010/6/25 21:12
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Kevin AZ
See User information
Awesome & great pictures!

Posted on: 2010/6/25 22:36
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Just for the sake of comparison, attached is a pic of the Snap-On 59638A that I use on the Packard handles.

I suspect the hole inboard of the square notch is merely provided for hanging the tool on the wall, if desired.

I have no idea what the the notch in the other end of the tool is for.

Attach file:

jpg  (91.79 KB)
103_4c260f7a2013f.jpg 800X595 px

Posted on: 2010/6/26 9:34
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
I believe the tool is designed to remove two types of interior door and window handles. One end for the flat spring type (as we have been discussing) and the other end for the round spring wire type (used on earlier Packards).

(o{I}o)

Posted on: 2010/6/26 9:40
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Thanks for clearing up that mystery for me, JW.

I remember my dad mentioning, decades ago, that the other end was for wire clips, but that message was lost on me. The only wire clips I'd seen were on handles from GM cars, and the only Packard that I've owned and worked on were 55-56.

Since my dad worked in a Packard dealership as a mechanic - on and off - for about ten years, it makes sense that he would have such a tool. Now that we finally have his old tool box home, I plan on going through it with him, this winter, and tagging any special tools. I'll be sure post news and pix of any good Packard finds.

Posted on: 2010/6/26 9:53
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joel Ray
See User information
The original poster is lucky to need the tool in the first place. The Packard clips including the "improved" variety are notorious for not holding the handle in place.

Posted on: 2010/7/1 19:09
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved