Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
136 user(s) are online (73 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 135

Big Ben, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Vapor Locking ....Fuel tempertures
Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
See radiator and cooling section of the SERVICE manual. P.3 figure 6. Looks to me like the line goes between block and water pump manifold which is consistant with most other manufaturer conventions.

Posted on: 2010/6/26 10:09
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
What strikes me as odd about the Carib is that somekind of shield is in front of the front carburetor????? That would block some fan cooling. So most likely the OEM outer routing of the fuel line is for convenience due to dual carbs rather than for cooling the line.

Posted on: 2010/6/26 10:15
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
There is a shield on the front Caribbean carb to maintain consistent temp between the front and back carb. A lot of time these shields have gone missing. So then the front carb runs cooler than the back one.

The SoCal chapter of PI is reproducing all 3 Caribbean shields.

Posted on: 2010/6/26 10:27
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
My 56 Exec with WCFB has what i believe to be oem line. It's routed between block and water pump. Most V8 engines i've seen with 2bbl or 4 bbl are usualy routed that way.

Posted on: 2010/6/26 10:27
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
What strikes me as odd about the Carib is that somekind of shield is in front of the front carburetor?????

The manifold sits very high over the lifter cover, the front baffle is to prevent the fan blast from passing beneath the intake in large volume and overcooling the base of the intake manifold which would result in poor fuel vaporization. With and without does make a difference, from personal experience, gas mileage is slightly higher and plugs burn cleaner.

Posted on: 2010/6/26 10:30
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
The SoCal chapter of PI is reproducing all 3 Caribbean shields.
What three shields? I only know of two. Did we have this discussion before?

Posted on: 2010/6/26 13:13
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Thank you Randy. I thought I had lost it again. I could only remember two myself but decided not to show my ignorance for a change.

Posted on: 2010/6/26 14:16
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Of course you are correct. Just two shields. Still thinking of that picture with three of them on the table, but two were identical.

Posted on: 2010/6/26 17:49
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
Well,all this "shield" stuff is interesting, but, IMO, completely useless if the temperature is HIGH enough.

Last year, I was driving my 77 Firebird 350 "over the hump" from Pahrump to Las Vegas. The temperature was 110F and the grade from Pahrump to Spring Mtn pass (the "hump") is 2700 to 5200ft. The Firebird had a good mechanical pump AND and electric pump. It did not matter. The Bird quit about 500ft short of the summit due to vapor lock and with the lifters clattering like mad. We had a 3 car caravan (the other two cars had FI) so we could continue, but I had to leave the Bird at the Fire Station near the summit. Later, on the way back, I retrieved it and since it had cooled down, it started right up and the lifter clatter disappeared.

I had a similar problem on the flat in Las Vegas many years ago with my 55 Pat, but in that case, an electric fuel pump solved the problem.

In case you guys did not notice, KevinAZ has a switchable electric pump on his 55 400 and that probably saved his bacon, so to speak. My advice to KevinAZ is to keep the electric pump turned on all the time, at least while the ambient temp is hot.

I do not think that a "return style" mechanical fuel pump makes any difference in a situation like this. My 77 Bird has one and my 55 Pat does not. If the temperature is high enough, the current grade of lousy commercial gas (with alcohol) will "vapor lock" no matter what.

Craig

Posted on: 2010/6/26 20:59
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
Quote:
06 F.! Now that is HOT!

Not it's not. Not in the great SouthWest in the summertime anyway. In Phoenix a few years ago, it was 122F. In Las Vegas a few years after that, it was 116F. In Pahrump last year it was 110F. This year in Pahrump, only 107F so far.

But it is a dry heat! (5% humidity) LOL

Craig

Posted on: 2010/6/26 21:10
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved