Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
144 user(s) are online (97 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 143

Mark Graber, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

1954 Patrician
Just popping in
Just popping in

Patio2
See User information
Can someone direct me to a good resource for auction; private party or retail pricing information? I am looking at a very nice 1954 Patrician - all original - 60K miles - asking price @ $16K.

Also, does anyone have suggestions on how easy it is to install an electric wiper motor as the vacuum one on this car is not working (only thing that is not). (and where to locate one?)

Thanks.

Posted on: 2010/7/12 15:18
 Top  Print   

Re: 1954 Patrician
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
1954 Patrician is a lovely car, I owned one and drove it for over 100,000 miles in the 70s and 80s. Can't help you too much with the value, but if it's truly exceptional condition that number doesn't sound too far off from what others have paid for outstanding examples. A price guide I have from about 4 years ago lists $17,200 for a top-notch example.

As to the wipers, if authenticity means anything to you, and it should in an exceptionally fine car, have the wiper motor rebuilt by Ficken Wiper Service, cost about $70 or so last time I had one done. Properly rebuilt and with a functioning vacuum booster pump (part of the fuel pump) the vacuum system gives more than adequate service, better in some ways than electric, not quite as good in other ways.

Posted on: 2010/7/12 15:42
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:
Patio2 wrote:.....I am looking at a very nice 1954 Patrician.......
G'day Patio2,
to PackardInfo. Sorry can't help on value, but WHEN you buy the '54 Pat, could you please include it in the Packard Owner's Registry here, together with a pic, any known history and how you acquired it?

Posted on: 2010/7/12 16:30
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Denny Z
See User information

Posted on: 2010/7/12 23:00
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
Dr. Seuss
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

phsnkw
See User information
Thats strange. The dash on the 1954 patrician appears two-tone green. This is the second non-Carribean car I have ever seen with the two toned dash. The other was a Patrician as well. I wonder if that was an option.

Posted on: 2010/7/13 7:59
"Do you ever think about the things you do think about?"

Inherit the Wind
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
My 54 Patrician also had a 2-tone dash in green. Exterior colors were Gallahad Green metallic over Orchard Green.

Posted on: 2010/7/13 8:24
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Dan
See User information
Quote:
For what it's worth, there is a very nice 53 Patrician on ebay right now for $13K:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200494614274&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

I noticed the number '400' on the dash of the above Patrician.

Was/is that the Packard series number? And is it that series number that the '55-'56 Four Hundred hardtop gets its name from?

Posted on: 2010/7/13 10:26
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
"The 400" was derived from a published (some would say snobbish) listing of the very socially elite families of the time and meant to denote that the 400 series were for the upper crust of society. The Patrician was considered in the "400" series from 1951 thru 1954 (in fact it was the only member of the 400 series except for the occasional limo, 7 pass sedan, Derham or other custom), just as Clippers were 200 series, convertibles and hardtops were 250 series prior to their becoming "senior" line cars, and the Cavalier represented the 300 series. Beginning in 1955 "400" denoted a particular body style (2-door hardtop) within the senior series, and not the entire series.

PS - reading this over, I see I've not done a great job of explaining it but I know someone else will come along and clarify it.

Posted on: 2010/7/13 10:57
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

dadoc
See User information
The name comes from Mrs Astor's list of the 400 most prominent people in New York during the last part of the 19th century. Her Fifth Avenue townhouse had a ballroom which would accomodate 400 people, hence the size "limitation". The list became known as "the 400".

Posted on: 2010/7/13 12:01
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

phsnkw
See User information
Wow! There seems to be a plethera-o-packards on ebay right now. A good handfull seem to be 1954's and some of them have two tone dashes. Typical when I wrote that I never saw many of them besides Carribeans. Now I want my Cavalier to be two-toned.

Posted on: 2010/7/14 7:25
"Do you ever think about the things you do think about?"

Inherit the Wind
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved