Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
206 user(s) are online (135 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 205

TxGoat, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Source for 1954 & 1956 Bronze engine paint?
Home away from home
Home away from home

John Wallis
See User information
Good point Parker. The "Vendor H" paint I have is a good bit lighter than the factory painted parts I have laying around.

Imron is good paint, I had a Hudson painted with it years ago and it was tough as nails. The painter said it was used originally on off-road equipment and machinery. He said the disadvantage is that if you get a run or drip you pretty much have to go back and redo an entire panel. I might look into having some mixed locally, but being in Kalifornia maybe all you can get is latex.....lol. Believe it or not, my machine shop guy said the state made him get rid of his parts washer due to "hazardous solvents"...I suspect it is now in his garage at home.

Posted on: 2010/8/11 20:50
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
The 54 and 56 paints were not the same, if you want to be painfully correct. The 54 is much redder, the 56 more towards gold.

Having said that, I do use the same on both as I find that 78 GMC Russet Metalic in acrylic enamel with hardener is a real crowd pleaser and will keep the judges happy enough. If I can find the photo, here it is on my roadster engine.

Attach file:

jpg  (186.71 KB)
618_4c63597a4d652.jpg 1408X1056 px

Posted on: 2010/8/11 21:16
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Here is the deal with paint here in Calif. For a shop, you can spray "the good stuff" if you are only shooting single stage. If you are shooting base/clear, then the base-coat has to be water based. It all comes down to a VOC allotment. Basically is you are only doing single stage, then you are using your VOC allotment there. If you are shooting base/clear, then the clear is using up your VOC allotment, so you have to shoot the color in water based.

Hobbyist are exempt from these rules as long as they do not paint more than two cars a year.

I painted the inner fenders on my car in single stage "good stuff".

Posted on: 2010/8/11 21:43
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Wallis
See User information
I thinned the paint a bit more (new can of Lowe's lacquer thinner) and adjusted the gun for a heavier spray and it looks better. I still have a 359 to paint and I think I'll try either the Imron (if I can get it here) or try Kanter's engine paint.

Thanks for the help!

PS The Stude GH valve covers are there to keep the dust out

Attach file:

jpg  (120.09 KB)
123_4c686001b965a.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2010/8/15 16:48
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

fred kanter
See User information
Hey Guys and Gals,

ON "exact" engine colors, we have 1000's of used parts 1925-1952 with many many different shades of green. They're all original. Yes I said 1952, as our '52 Patrician factory show car had a green engine in it, engine never repainted when I got it in '73. The car was so original it had ( and still has) all 5 orig tires, orig plugs, belts hoses etc etc.

On other subjects:

We're all grown-ups here, no need to use codes for vendors names. MY name is Fred Kanter, my screen name is Fred Kanter, my business name is Kanter Auto Products. I'm not "K", vendor "K" or "K-Mart" as I've been referred to in one forum. MM is Max Merritt and H is Bill Hirsch. Got it?

Now as for makes other than Packard , it is perfectly acceptable, in fact preferred, to refer to them as Brand C, Brand L, Brand M etc. PLEASE, no foul language here!

If you are dissatisfied with a vendors items, check with the vendor first and let them straighten it out BEFORE complaining publicly. Most vendors are more than willing to help you, however we do have dissatisfired customers who order a part, install it and find it does not solve their problem, then want a refund. There are at least 2 sides to every story.

Fred Kanter
Kanter Auto Products
Boonton NJ

Posted on: 2010/11/16 22:41
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Gary Marshall
See User information
Ross
Are you saying that the red color in your picture is more what a 54 color should be?

Posted on: 2010/12/19 16:21
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved