Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
240 user(s) are online (157 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 238

Vaughan, Don B, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Source for 1954 & 1956 Bronze engine paint?
Home away from home
Home away from home

John Wallis
See User information
Hi folks,

Any sources for the bronze hi-temp engine enamel used in 1954 & 1956 Seniors?

The last quart I bought from "Vendor H" (for $50.00 plus shipping) did not gloss well and curdled when thinned with fresh, name brand lacquer thinner.

I have two engines to paint and am looking for an alternative source.

TIA

John

Posted on: 2010/8/10 20:26
 Top  Print   

Re: Source for 1954 & 1956 Bronze engine paint?
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
If vendor H is the well known supplier of paint and other Packard items whose name also begins with the same letter, then I have used several of his paint products (including 2 engines with the bronze) over the years with no difficulty. Have both sprayed and brushed them. Since you said they are enamel paints, curious why you mentioned using laquer thinner instead of a good enamel reducer to thin them.

Posted on: 2010/8/10 20:55
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Wallis
See User information
Hi HH,

Per instructions on the vendor's website:

"IF YOU ARE SPRAYING FROM A QUART CAN, YOU CAN USE IT THE WAY IT COMES OUT OF THE CAN BUT IF IT IS NECESSARY TO THIN, YOU CAN USE ABOUT 1 OUNCE OF XYLOL OR HIGH QUALITY SLOW DRYING LACQUER THINNER."

I have also used it in the past with good results (using the same thinner). Maybe I did something wrong, or maybe I got a bad batch....??

Posted on: 2010/8/10 21:29
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Interesting. I am not a painter and didn't realize you could mix two different formulations like that. I was always told to even try and keep the manufacturers the same to avoid incompatibilities. Wonder if he changed suppliers or type.

It's been about 5-6 years since I did the last engine and that can was ordered via mail, not the website. Just looked and there is a can of Dupont fast dry enamel reducer sitting next to what is left of the bronze (surprisingly, still has liquid), so that must have been what was recommended then.

The label on the can is gone so can't identify anything other than the color dripping over but as mentioned, had no issues at the time. I saw the last engine I painted a few months ago when getting some thief proof numbers for O_D's collection and it still looked fairly decent. I did notice it had flaked in a couple of places on the aluminum head--probably because of poor prep.

Posted on: 2010/8/10 22:00
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Packard V-8s had aluminum heads?

(o{I}o)

Please excuse, of course the '54 359 had an aluminum head.

Posted on: 2010/8/10 22:13
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
No, but the 1954 359 engine which was also painted bronze had an aluminum head and no doubt that was what HH was referring to.

Posted on: 2010/8/10 22:16
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Wallis
See User information
Correct O_D and JW,

I have both a 359 and 374 to paint. Maybe I'll try a quart from "Vendor K"...it is about 1/2 the price and I've had good results with their other products as well.

Thanks for the replies,

John

Posted on: 2010/8/10 22:37
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Have you tried to contact vendor "H"? I have used his paints and never had a problem. When I thought I did, I called and Mr. "H" called me back personally to resolve the problem. My problem was that I ran the can in a paint shaker, and even that was not good enough to break up the high solid pigment in the base of the can. I actually had to use a stir stick to break all the pigment free first. After that the color was correct. I thinned mine with generic thinner I bought at Lowes, and it worked just fine.

Posted on: 2010/8/10 23:15
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Wallis
See User information
Hi Kev,

Maybe I'll give a call. I did use a wood stirrer as there were about 1/2" of thick metallic solids at the bottom of the can.

I used the same brand of paint, same spray gun and same type of thinner about 5 years ago on a 1954 359cid and it came out fine.

At $60/qt disappointments are not welcome!

Cheers,

John

Posted on: 2010/8/11 11:47
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

ParkersPackards
See User information
Just another perspective.....I painted a 359 last fall and had a batch of Dupont's Imron mixed up. I wasn't that fond of "Vendor H's" shade, compared to the original bronze on the engine. I un-bolted the engine mount and cleaned the inside edge, brought it to my paint jobber, and he matched it up nicely. Very durable paint, but i've heard it's getting harder to find in different states.

Posted on: 2010/8/11 12:54
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved