Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
164 user(s) are online (99 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 163

Jim in Boone, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3)

Re: Building it correctly - getting the crud out
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
I'm guessing that one for 10k wasn't put to a TU?

Posted on: 2010/9/4 11:00
1937 Packard 138-CD Deluxe Touring Limousine
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jack Vines
See User information
No, just an old Borg-Warner standard shift transmission.

(Viper T56 6-speed version)

jack vines

Posted on: 2010/9/4 20:53
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
We used to wash down the engine block with dish washing detergent after it was chemical cleaned and cylinders rebored. This was done to clean the block of residual chemicals and machining "dust". After that the newly machined surfaces were wiped with clean motor oil. Is this still practiced today?

(o{I}o)

Posted on: 2010/9/5 9:28
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jack Vines
See User information
Quote:
We used to wash down the engine block with dish washing detergent after it was chemical cleaned and cylinders rebored. This was done to clean the block of residual chemicals and machining "dust". After that the newly machined surfaces were wiped with clean motor oil. Is this still practiced today?

No, today's shops have large cabinet "dishwashers" which use caustic detergent, hot water, high pressure and the block is mounted on a rotating table. When it comes out of the pressure washer, it is rinsed with cold water and blown dry.

jack vines

Posted on: 2010/9/5 14:59
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

patgreen
See User information
When you do an overhaul/rebuilding do you use much new technology (like electronic ignition, different carburetors---anything that wasn't available in the day but is an improvement), or do you try to stay original?

Anything to improve mileage?

Posted on: 2010/9/5 19:38
When two men ride the same horse, one has to be in the back...
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jack Vines
See User information
Yes, on some engines, all which remains Packard are the heads and block. The engine for my custom '56 Hawk is the one with the supercharger, EFI, crank triggered ignition, electric water pump, aluminum intake manifold, roller camshaft, titanium valves and a few other interesting modifications.

No, most are closer to stock. The engine I'm just finishing up to go in my '55 Studebaker 3/4t pickup will be dressed like a '56 Caribbean engine. Inside, where it isn't visible are a Pertronix ignition module and Ford truck pistons.

Maybe, it depends on what I or the customer wants. Bottom line, it can be as original or as wild as money permits.

jack vines

Posted on: 2010/9/6 1:20
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 (3)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved