Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
201 user(s) are online (135 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 199

humanpotatohybrid, BillinNC, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: power steering on 51 400
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:
ted wrote:......I will be making an offer for the 51 and hopefully all will work out........so please stay tuned as maybe we can add another car to the registry.......

Sounds very promising Ted. And good to know you have the Registry in your thoughts.

Posted on: 2010/9/3 2:25
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

R Anderson
See User information
PS sure makes day-to-day parking and heavy traffic so much easier... Eric, will be very interested to hear how that 48 comes out, since if we get a 46/47 and put Ultra on it, probably up for PS conversion. Be worth the effort if it makes it possible to drive an old car farther into the future, heck, I just may give up on these modern new fangled electronic boxes on wheels and drive vintage every day.

Posted on: 2010/9/3 8:14
56 Clipper Deluxe survivor
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
That's my philosophy anyway, an old car that you can work on is worth 100 new cars that you can't.

"If you can tune a car with a screwdriver you're a mechanic, if it takes a $6000 computer you're a technician"

Posted on: 2010/9/3 11:34
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
It's not necessary to have power steering in order to drive any Packard or other old car. They were perfectly easy to steer when new and they could be again if it were not for rusty joints that have not been lubed in years, worn out parts, shock absorbers dry of oil, bent tie rods,half flat tires and wheels way out of alignment.

Go ahead and service your front suspension to factory specs, replace worn parts, fill the shocks with oil, and get a front end alignment. You will find it steers as easy as power steering unless at a dead stop, then your shoulders get a slight workout. Old ladies and grannies drove them back when they were new so they couldn't be that bad. Do not let a worn out, neglected, badly out of alignment car fool you.

Friends of mine have taken this advice and once their suspension was restored to factory specs and properly lined up they had no desire for power steering.

Another thing you can do to make the steering even easier and more accurate is to have the front end aligned with little or no caster. But if you do this you have to add a hydraulic steering damper to damp out shimmy. Steering dampers are made by all the big shock absorber companies, they are a common accessory on 4 wheel drive trucks.

Posted on: 2010/9/3 13:45
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

ted
See User information
Thank you one and all again for the great info. you have given me. Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner, but I was in the backyard digging up my cans of money to make my offer and man is this Arizona ground hard in the summertime.

Eric, best of luck to you switching over the ultramatic to your 48,wow! now to me that's one hell of a job to undertake.

Jim,great to have your response to my adventure and please say Hello to Debbie. You 2 are a great couple and thanks to you I learned a lot on the day we met. Your convert. looks great and you and Debbie are doing a fine job on the restore from when I seen it the 2nd day you had it.

Again Thank You for the great responses and as soon as I hear something I will let you all know.

Posted on: 2010/9/3 14:37
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Charles
See User information
I know the car being discussed already has the power steering installed, but I have to agree with Rusty about it not being necessary. I have been amazed at how easy it is for my car to turn the wheels, even with the car standing still and almost flat tires! My car has old parts that haven't been lubricated, as long as I have owned it anyways. I can't even imagine how much nicer it will be when new parts are added.

I had a '73 Pontiac Lemans without power steering and an after market wheel that was smaller than OEM. I wouldn't even attempt to parallel park that car!

Posted on: 2010/9/3 17:20
[url=h
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

ted
See User information
Hey there 51,,its funny when you look back trying to get a drivers license back in the 60's and have the policeman telling you to parallel park the big boat in a spot no bigger then a VW to fit in. Clutch in,clutch out ,clutch in,etc; you were afraid you'd hit the other cars or if not hit a fire hydrant. Good times !!

Posted on: 2010/9/3 18:36
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Quote:
Eric, best of luck to you switching over the ultramatic to your 48,wow! now to me that's one hell of a job to undertake.

Like I said in my previous post, the fun of the manual trans and the complexity of converting to an Ultramatic makes me not want to even contemplate it.

Posted on: 2010/9/3 20:46
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved