Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
165 user(s) are online (101 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 162

moodydavid16, Don B, kevinpackard, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

Re: Newbie here,with a question about an engine swap.
Home away from home
Home away from home

Charles
See User information
I agree with Turbopackman...My side glass was laminated. I know because it was broken! Since it is flat, it was easily replaced by a glass shop. I bought mine out of Iowa because for some reason, they were a lot cheaper than my local guys, even with shipping.

Posted on: 2010/9/5 22:41
[url=h
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
OK so I'm wrong but I'm sure some cars used tempered side glass.

Does Packard glass turn brown when the laminations separate? I've seen glass turn foggy white or light green but not brown.

Posted on: 2010/9/5 22:50
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Charles
See User information
I've read somewhere, probably on here, about the laminate turning a yellow color because of age. That could be considered brown depending on how dark the color gets. My own glass has a yellow hew around the edge of the glass.

Posted on: 2010/9/5 22:58
[url=h
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Jim
See User information
Yes, the factory laminate front and side glass in my '39 and '40 are brownish around the edges where they are delaminating. Probably gets darker with time. Rusty, I think newer cars do use tempered glass. Seems like most modern cars that get the side glass broken leave a terrible mess on the seat and floor.

Posted on: 2010/9/6 1:51
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Palanirides
See User information
Oz,
Thank you.I'll try to relay all that information to the car inspector.I wish I knew what it was just to get things going here.Thanks again.

Turbo,
I'll send you my info after I get off here. Will any of these engines mate with its three speed transmission? Thank you so much again.

Rusty,
If I do obtain this car,just having it in my driveway will be a dream come true -- regardless of how long it might have to sit there.It's an iconic slice of Americana that no newer vehicle can match in its style,engineering,charm,and history. It would be akin to owning a Piccaso imo. If I do get it,I'd like to get it road worthy within a year,but I realize an endeavor like this must be done carefully in baby steps at times to do it right,so there won't be any rush -- NO RUSH AT ALL. No,I don't have experience restoring a vehicle,but I have my contacts and sites such as this one that would hopefully advise me in the right direction.I also reside in the eighth largest city in this country with Los Angeles just two hours away,so the experts (machine shops,paint and body shops,and restoring experts) are there should I need them. I am somewhat mechanically inclined,so removing chrome and such to have it polished or re-dipped should be no problem. I realize I can get a 1966 Galaxie or '73 Torino fastback,etc,to restore,but hey,how many people get to OWN,restore,and drive a '48 Packard? This is also a challenge...You should have seen the gawking going on over a black and burgundy '51(?) Hudson Commodore the other day at a nearby mall's parking lot. This "tank" looked like it was straight out of a Dick Tracy world and passerby's couldn't take their eyes off it and commenting on how cool it was...The more I gawk at this Packard,the more I fall in love with its beautiful smooth lines,length,and overall look. ...You guys have really pumped my spirits up today by informing me that engines for such a vehicle are still around(Sorry about jumping too quick on the Ford I6 idea,though I do feel that certain I6s would make a good temporary replacement). Again,I don't know much about this vehicle or its engines so I'm trying to find out all I can this week;my head is about to explode. Pardon my ignorance,in other words.

Thanks for clearing up(no pun intended)the glass/window issue too. :)

Attach file:

jpg  (45.87 KB)
3019_4c849ba59a8c0.jpg 795X616 px

jpg  (42.90 KB)
3019_4c849bbfb5c32.jpg 707X493 px

jpg  (45.58 KB)
3019_4c849bd15bfd4.jpg 796X594 px

Posted on: 2010/9/6 2:44
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Newbie, the beginning engine numbers for a 1948, 22nd Series Packard are: 288 cu. in. - G200001; 327 cu. in. - G400001; and 356 cu. in. - G600001. I hope this will help you.

(o{I}o)

Posted on: 2010/9/6 11:18
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Paul Weeks
See User information
I too am a newbie! I bought a 1950 Super DeLuxe 8 about two weeks ago and I know nothing. My car looks to be in great shape but has an Ultramatic issue. The car was parked in a garage for about a year and not started. My brother in law got it started and I drove the car about 120 miles home. It ran a little rough but seemed to drive fine... Since the major tune up the car runs really nicely but can't really take off in "H" you have to floor it or start in "L" and shift into high. When you shift it clunks hard and loud. That was the first thing... I drove it around town yesterday and this morning it won't shift out of "park." Any ideas?? I have read all of Big Kev and 51 Packard's blogs and I thank God I found you guys!!

Posted on: 2010/9/6 12:00
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
Did you check the transmission fluid level? I'll leave the hard and loud clunks and the stuck-in-park problems to others to comment on.

Posted on: 2010/9/6 12:11
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Paul Weeks
See User information
I did check that a week or so ago and there seem to be no leaks... Maybe I'll look at that again, it's just really hard to do!! I can't figure out why the shifter won't move...

Posted on: 2010/9/6 12:37
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
Quote:

51Packard wrote:
I've read somewhere, probably on here, about the laminate turning a yellow color because of age. That could be considered brown depending on how dark the color gets. My own glass has a yellow hew around the edge of the glass.

Quote:

Rusty O/'Toole wrote:
Does Packard glass turn brown when the laminations separate? I've seen glass turn foggy white or light green but not brown.

My experience is that the Packard glass and/or laminate turns yellow/brown/gold where it come in contact with the rubber gasket. You can see where my wind wing is 'golden with age' along the chrome mounting where the rubber lurks. The unencumbered edge is clear (although delaminating).

Only my wind wings have this discoloration enhanced tinting.

Attach file:

jpg  (6.38 KB)
188_4c8541da49e70.jpg 288X216 px

Posted on: 2010/9/6 14:32
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved