Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
229 user(s) are online (131 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 229

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Steering Wheel Restoration
Home away from home
Home away from home

Paul Weeks
See User information
I have a split in the plastic of my steering wheel. It is about 1/4 inch across and I would like to have the steering wheel made like new again. Have any of you had a good experience with anyone in particular? I would appreciate any suggestions or warnings for that matter...

Posted on: 2010/9/26 13:46
 Top  Print   

Re: Steering Wheel Restoration
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
If you mean the plastic wheels, not sure how many are still doing it. A couple of links I had are no longer active. Here is one that has been around for awhile and while their pictures look good, don't know of anyone who has actually used them. They do have a show schedule if anything is in your area where you can look at the quality. Maybe worth a phone call.http://www.qualityrestorations.com/packard.html

The painted hard rubber of the lesser models can be repaired with any number of substances, re-sanded and then repainted. There are several places that offer supplies and instructions on that type.

Posted on: 2010/9/26 14:35
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Don 37
See User information
If you go to youtube and put in KBS NuMetal you can watch some videos of them restoring a steering wheel. Also if you put in packard 120 CD there is a lot of videos on a 37 CD restoration including a Banjo Steering wheel.

Posted on: 2010/9/26 16:28
1936 and 1937 120's Are what we like best. But we also like all other Packards too.

Don 37'
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Paul Weeks
See User information
Thanks for the site!! Their steering wheels look really nice, but they are all new. I want to have my "old" steering wheel redone. I would like the car to stay as original as possible. I will contact them to see if they fix cracked wheels just in case!

Posted on: 2010/9/27 8:17
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Pack120c
See User information
I was following a blog last year and the guy used J.B. Donaldson for his 1936 Buick Special. He was very pleased with the outcome. The owner of the shop restoring my '37 One Twenty said he uses them as well with good results.

Here is their website :http://steeringwheelsusa.com/

Good Luck

Posted on: 2010/9/27 11:07
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Paul Weeks
See User information
I will check that out right now! Thanks...

Posted on: 2010/9/28 12:57
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Michael Evans
See User information
Hi Paul

I'm in the UK and I used "Quicksteel" - comes in a sausage of light grey color outer and dark grey inner, you cut off a chunk and kneed the two together and fill the cracks and sand down after about 5 mins. as it is real HARD in that time. I painted mine with the two pack cream of the roof of my car - looks great and will last me out I guess ?

Best regards Michael

Posted on: 2010/10/1 8:43
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved