Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
198 user(s) are online (132 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 198

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: 54 Clipper Deluxe Recommendation for Battery Brand
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Coil should not be an issue with no cranking. Switch just twists into a spring latch in the bezel. Hold the bezel, push in the switch against it and turn slightly and it will release. If you decide to try the pushbutton, pick up something that will carry a fair amount of current 20-30 amps would be good. Cole-Hersee has some but something like this should be available lots of places.

Attach file:

jpg  (6.24 KB)
209_4ca943c9cd150.jpg 246X202 px

Posted on: 2010/10/3 22:02
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Frank
See User information
Thanks - I crawled under the dash and wiggled/tightened the connections around the ignition switch by hand. Much to my surprise it cranked over? So now I'll go back and spray the connections with electric contact spray and with small tools tighten everything. I'm hoping this was the problem. I'm finding a pattern of contacts that need to be cleaned on this car. Probably not uncommon.

Posted on: 2010/10/9 15:57
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Will keep fingers crossed. Corrosion is a big problem on lots of things that sat for a long time. Did any of the wires seem loose. Hopefully so and that is the problem, but if not, you may have just vibrated the terminal and switch so a connection was made possible--just like jiggling the key did the other time. Wouldn't call it out of the woods just yet.

Posted on: 2010/10/9 16:43
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
The ignition switch bezel simple twists off on the '54 Clippers (push in and turn). So you can quickly pop it off and drop down the ignition switch to give you better access to the terminals.

For some reason the ignition switch is the easiest switch to remove (no tools needed), perfect for the car thief on the go.

Posted on: 2010/10/9 16:52
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Frank
See User information
Kev - this is a rookie question but when you reach in behind the dash and you grab the whole ignition switch unit do you turn it clockwise or counter-clockwise? Also - I'm sure I should disconnect a battery terminal so as not to accidently start the car or get a perm? Thanks

Posted on: 2010/10/9 20:57
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved