Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
253 user(s) are online (135 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 251

packard1949, todd landis, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 6 7 8 (9)

Re: 15% Ethanol
Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
How about distillation???? Would need to know the boiling point of gasoline vs alcohol at about 173 F. I don;t know what it is for gasoline. I think this came up before about gasoline boiling point.

Posted on: 2010/12/28 18:48
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
No, simple distillation won't do it for you. Ethanol is a single compound and has a discrete sharp boiling point of about 78 deg. C. But gasoline is a mixture of hundreds of individual compounds with a huge range of boiling points that overlap that of ethanol; boiling point range of traditional gasoline (circa 1980) was from 39 deg. C. to above 200 deg. C.

Posted on: 2010/12/28 19:50
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike
See User information
I would rather pay $500 every couple years for carb rebuilds and gas tank cleaning than spend one second trying to distill gasoline. Any time i even consider something like that, i imagine a huge explosion and how much i'd regret it forever.

People are always trying to cram an extended warranty/car repair insurance down my throat for my newer stuff...wonder if i could get one for the packard to handle stuff like fuel related issues? AND OMG getting ultramatic rebuilds?!

Posted on: 2010/12/28 20:47
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
If alcohol can oxidize into an acetate then is it possible for ethanol in gasoline to oxidize and become a vinegar or other acid????

Posted on: 2010/12/31 7:38
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information

Posted on: 2011/1/21 16:05
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Bill
See User information
Might check out this web site, found several stations around my home selling ethanol free gas.
http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:kGqUyHLnGpsJ:pure-gas.org/+ethanolfreegas&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us&client=firefox-a

Posted on: 2011/1/21 16:51
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Stephen Houseknecht
See User information
Ethanol water attraction

http://www.fuel-testers.com/expiration_of_ethanol_gas.html

Last year Moss Motors has a tech tip on ethanol stability and now I cannot find it.

Posted on: 2011/1/21 17:53
Stephen
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Lowell Fast
See User information

Posted on: 2011/4/17 12:32
1939 - 120 ,4 dr / overdrive
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
One of the best and well-researched papers I've seen recently on the ethanol/gasoline situation and specifically on it's tendency to produce irreversible strata (water on the bottom, gas on top, water/ethanol in the middle) upon ageing was written by Jim Richardson in Old Cars Weekly, April 7, 2011. It also goes into one of the less-recognized issues the E10 and the like, the fact that it results in a leaner fuel mixture which is why many of us slightly enlarge our carburetor main jets to eliminate surging on hard acceleration. Some carb rebuilders do this on request and recommended if you're in an area (like NJ) where ethanol-free gasoline is not permitted.

It's probably copyrighted so I won't reproduce it here, but it's highly recommended and well worth getting a copy. And all the more reason not to abandon hard-copy printed hobby publications where some of the best information can be found, or found first.

Posted on: 2011/4/17 12:45
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 6 7 8 (9)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved