Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
222 user(s) are online (146 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 222

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 »

Very slow wipers...
Home away from home
Home away from home

Paul Weeks
See User information
I just noticed that the wipers work very slowly on my '50 Super DeLuxe. Any pointers on where to start would be greatly appreciated!!

The manifold gaskets and resurfacing are in and are a VAST improvement!

I love my car.

Posted on: 2010/10/21 20:30
 Top  Print   

Re: Very slow wipers...
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Lubrication might help. Some have had success but it's also possible it is just time for a rebuild. If you try the lube, several have recommended vacuum pump oil and others have used air tool oil in place of the Trico lube. Check out the instructions for lubing and one on hose collapse in the service counselors. There are several pertaining to wipers here.https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/serviceinfo/catindex.php?cat=23&series=3

Posted on: 2010/10/21 20:36
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Paul Weeks
See User information
You say it may be time for a rebuild... A rebuild of what? The wiper motor or the vacuum pump? Can you tell I am reallllllyyyy green??

Posted on: 2010/10/21 20:58
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The wiper motor. They have several paper and rubber gaskets as well as leather or felt seals on the paddle edges which tend to dry out or wear from use. The lube might rejuvenate them but if paddle seals are excessively worn, it won't help much. If you do need a rebuild, Ficken Wipershttp://www.wiperman.com/ comes very highly recommended.

Posted on: 2010/10/21 21:05
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Paul Weeks
See User information
Thanks so much! I will try the lube trick tomorrow then off it goes to the rebuilders! Did I mention, I love my car!

Posted on: 2010/10/21 21:08
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
If you have a good strong vacuum at the wipers at idle, then the vacuum pump is probably OK. It's in series with the manifold vacuum source and doesn't do much of anything but act as a pathway in normal operation. When you are at a load or under acceleration and manifold vacuum drops below what the vacuum pump can provide, then the vacuum pump is stronger and provides the vacuum to wipers. You can test it by disconnecting the hose going to the manifold at pump and see how much is left at the wiper motor. It won't be as strong as manifold provides but if not there or very weak, then the pump or hoses might be leaking and could need attention as well.

Posted on: 2010/10/21 21:38
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Or you could just install this and not have to worry about it anymore:http://newportwipers.com/products.php?year=1949+Late+-+1956&make_id=20

Posted on: 2010/10/21 23:23
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
I guess you could but...

12 volt motor kit.......$209.95
6 -> 12 volt inverter...$149.95
S/H ....................$ 27.00
........................_______
........................$386.90

Includes 3 year guarantee. Installation of switch, wiring and inverter required. Non-standard look.

or

Complete rebuild........$ 99.00
Shipping to/from........$ 16.00 (approx. possibly less)
........................_______
........................$115.00

Includes 3 year warranty. No installation of switch/wiring/inverter involved. Refurbished motor only looks better, not different.

Guess it depends on what you want and how much you want to spend. Either option works... I took the second path.

Posted on: 2010/10/22 0:09
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Convert to 12V, no $150 inverter needed.

Posted on: 2010/10/22 0:13
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
You are too funny. Lets see, in lieu of a $150 inverter we need; A 12 volt battery, an alternator, a gazillion light bulbs, coil, voltage limiters for the gauges, radio, etc. Yep... that'll save some cash ... but we end up with some very speedy wipers for our efforts yes?

Posted on: 2010/10/22 1:00
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved