Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
231 user(s) are online (138 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 230

TxGoat, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Opinion
Home away from home
Home away from home

J.R. Buzzell
See User information
Alright everybody I have an opinion question for you. I have a '49 Deluxe Eight Touring Sedan in Turquoise Blue. The question is: would fog lamps or drivin lamps go better on this car? I'm thinking the fog lamp orange would contrast pretty badly, but that's why I'm asking you! Thanks everyone!

Posted on: 2010/10/26 18:05
J.R. Buzzell

1949 23rd Series Deluxe Eight Touring Sedan
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/index.php?Action=view&ID=867
 Top  Print   

Re: Opinion
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Driving or road lights are always handy since the standard Packard 6v headlamps are not the brightest. Accessory catalog says road and fog lamp so assume both clear and yellow were available. I live in a heavy tule fog area and don't see many yellow fog lights on cars. Would doubt they really work much better than low beams or would see a lot more if that's a consideration.

Posted on: 2010/10/26 18:17
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Depends on what u need the lites for????

I prefer Fogs. The fogs cast a very long bright beam. The fogs can be aimed slightly to the side of the road to help watch for deer or other obstructions comeing toward the road. They tend to lite up the road bed very well and do not glare back at nite nor glare in oncomming traffic if properly aimed. Fogs can be had in amber or clear.

My experience with driving lites is that they are more or less just a rather dim day time attention getter and that's about all they are.

Posted on: 2010/10/26 19:48
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
One problem with fogs is that they have to be mounted extremely low. That exposes them to alot of road debris and possible breakage. Most fogs from the factory are mounted to top of bumper which is really too high.

Regardless of how heavy the fog, the BOTTOM of the fog is never any closer to the ground than 14 to 16 inches above the ground. That's why the fogs must be mounted very low to get any benefit. They need to be mounted to shine UNDER the fog.

Posted on: 2010/10/26 19:55
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I'm not sure even getting lights low and under would do any good with tule fog. Driving in it at night, anything pretty much reflects back at you. In the daytime it is just gray. You usually move along and hope you are not the unlucky one caught between someone going slow in front and some idiot going fast in back..http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tule_fog

I live in the area of 99 they cite with the mass accidents near Selma-Kingsburg and Fowler. I had just exited 99 about 5 minutes before that Fowler one happened and the article does not do it justice. Both accidents were caused by idiots trying to do regular speed when you could barely see the hood ornament.. It's supposed to be patchy fog tomorrow-----.

Posted on: 2010/10/26 20:15
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
I have the Packard accessory fog lights on my car with the amber bulbs. They look very nice but mounted up on the bumper valence panel they are not much use as fog lights but look nice IMHO. As mentioned foglights must be mounted low to be of much benefit beyond being a nice accessory. If you want better lighting buy an aftermarket headlight set (Bosch, Hella) which with the 6 volt halogen bulbs really are an improvement over the seal beams. My biggest concern is drivng in a snow storm where a low mount fog lights can be a benefit but thankfully not in my Packard.

Posted on: 2010/10/26 20:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
I'll go out a limb here.

As HH56 mentions there can be terrific head lite glare back in fog.

I've known many people who THOT and claimed they had fog lites on their car when in fact they were merely driving lites or some kind of auxillary lite. Very brite lites in some cases.

A true FOG beam of lite has a flat horizontal line across the top of the beam. That is to say that the beam resembles a semi circle with the curve at the ground and the streight line of the diameter horizontal accross the top.

The flat breakoff of the beam across the top is what eleminates the glare back of the fog.

Posted on: 2010/10/26 20:46
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
If an alleged fog lite beam does not have a distinct and conspicuous horizontal flat line across the top then it is not a fog lite.

Posted on: 2010/10/26 20:49
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
I used to have to drive from Los Angeles to Bakersfield to visit an account there. I once turned around and headed back to L.A. rather than attempt driving through tule fog. It's way too scary knowing some nincompoop may be driving blind behind you at 55+ MPH. You literally cannot see the end of the hood for long stretches at a time. But I digress...

My opinion is that the 22nd/23rd series looks best without auxiliary lights but if you like the look or need the extra light, here's an approximation of what a turquoise 22nd series Packard would look like with Fog vs Driving lights. It's a right hand drive version with slightly larger European auxiliary lights but you get the idea.

Attach file:

jpg  (13.17 KB)
188_4cc7858176d5b.jpg 432X163 px

Posted on: 2010/10/26 20:51
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Charles Neuhaus
See User information
As was pointed out earlier in this thread the 6v sealed beam headlights are not the brightest. I have a 40 Chrysler and I replaced the sealed beam units with a look-alike lens which accomodates a 6v halogen headlight bulb. Much brighter. I got mine from Bill Hirsch in New Jersey, phone: 1-800-828-2061, item # 2 EH-SSB, cost $90. for two about two years ago.

Posted on: 2010/10/27 11:52
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved