Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
132 user(s) are online (96 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 131

Stefanie, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Engine Cleaning
Home away from home
Home away from home

Gary Marshall
See User information
Any good advise on how to clean a engine when restoring cars? Do you use parafin ? How is it done? Do you also paint the engine? Can any parts be chromed?

Posted on: 2010/11/3 8:21
 Top  Print   

Re: Engine Cleaning
Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
I use Easy Off oven cleaner, it's cheaper than the store bought engine cleaners and is the same thing. If the engine's out of the car, just take it to a car wash, spray it down with the oven cleaner, and go to town. If it's in the car and the car is drivable, then that's even better, as you can get the engine hot before you clean it, and it works better.

Can any parts be chromed? Well, I'm of the philosophy if it isn't a hot part, chrome it if you can!

Posted on: 2010/11/3 12:02
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike
See User information
Some people don't stop once they start a-chromin'!

Click to see original Image in a new window

Posted on: 2010/11/3 15:33
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Gary Marshall
See User information
Could you get way with painting engine silver ? I have noticed many engines if not painted black, paint, green, blue. I am guessing would look really good. What paint gives the best finish?

Posted on: 2010/11/4 20:25
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
The Packard motors really look the best when painted the correct color. Green for prewar, and Gray for postwar after 1947. 55/56 Motors have a couple different colors.

Bill Hirsch and Kanter Bros both have paint in the correct colors that you can either spray or brush on.

Non-standard colors really stick out like a sore thumbs. IMHO

Posted on: 2010/11/4 20:32
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I don't think Packard had any completely silver engines in normal production cars--although IIRC, there was something mentioning that some of the last V8 service replacement engines were silver.

Most use the paint sold by various vendors in the correct color for their engine. Properly thinned and applied it seems to hold up pretty well. I don't think there is anything special about it such as being high temp or anything like that..

Posted on: 2010/11/4 20:33
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike
See User information
I'm cheating and using the Packard green from Bill Hirsch in my 50 although i'm not sure what color it was. Some are saying that the green could have went into mid-late 49 or early 50. Oh well, my car is green and it should look ok.

Posted on: 2010/11/4 21:12
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
I plan on painting the 356 in the Speedster silver and green, silver on the lower half and green on the upper half. The idea is to give the illusion of a '36 Super Eight engine. The head will be painted silver as well, to give the illusion of an aluminum head. I think it'll turn out great.

Posted on: 2010/11/4 21:18
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Gary Marshall
See User information
After painting, do you use origional color spark plug leads? and add different color like blue or red or yellow etc?

Posted on: 2010/11/4 21:30
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Ummm..... black ones would be correct.

There are lots of picture here on the website that show how the engine compartments should look. Take a look through the Photo Archive to help get some ideas.

Posted on: 2010/11/4 22:24
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved