Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
220 user(s) are online (127 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 217

Duane Gunn, humanpotatohybrid, Don B, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Playing music via the radio
Home away from home
Home away from home

patgreen
See User information
The radio in my 56 works, with some reservations. It hums a bit and the sound quality is medium at best.

When driving by myself, I'd like to be able to listen on occasion to my mp3 player.

I can get a device that plugs into the antenna and allows me to play over the current radio, but it's $129 plus some installation. My thought is that I won't be happy with the sound.

I don't feel like spending the money to convert the AM radio by tearing it apart and reconstructing it.....

I seems logical to install a couple of decent or at least adequate speakers under the dash and wiring the MP3 player in the glove box....

Has anyone tried this? I'd appreciate any suggestions but especially specific suggestions about brands and models.

FWIW my taste runs to classical; I do not need a system that makes the fenders spring in and out with each bass note....

Posted on: 2010/11/26 23:14
When two men ride the same horse, one has to be in the back...
 Top  Print   

Re: Playing music via the radio
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Being AM monaural, probably not the best dynamic range to start--even with the RediRad or similar to play the mp3s back with. If you do try a different speaker, it takes 4 ohm type. The hum may be due to a capacitor suffering from old age or if it is the vibrator buzz you are hearing, no noise solid state replacements are available.

If you're not a stickler for authenticity, have you considered getting a modern system that fits into the dash with no modifications. That way you could keep the original intact to put back in. One of our posters from Europe put one in his car and, IIRC, was quite pleased with the looks and sound. (If you did go that way, think I would put something behind the face plate to protect the dash screen.) I don't remember where he put the speakers.http://www.retrosoundusa.com/products/details/id/141

Another option might be an additional radio. I saw one very clever install where a person made a mount that went under the dash. Moved down & out to use and slid back and up out of sight. A sort of semicircular bracket on each side of a small head only type unit. Not sure where he put the remainder but under the passenger seat if no heater there or trunk good candidates.http://www.casmfg.com/Secretaudio.htm

Posted on: 2010/11/26 23:36
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Phil Randolph
See User information
You can get AM/FM radios that have remote operation. The only thing that has to show is a small (split pea size) sensor.

Posted on: 2010/11/27 7:50
1938 1601 Club Coupe
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
I have a custom high end stereo in my 55 Pat (converted to negative ground).

The front speakers are in the kick panels.
Resized Image

The installer removed the originals in case I wanted to return. The larger is a 6in diameter mid range and the lower is a directional 1in tweeter. This is all you'd need for great classical sound.

As stated above, you can get a replacement for the center control unit with modern internals. In my case, the aftermarket head unit is hidden in the glove box. It takes up the lower half and powers the front speakers.

I also have a pair of 6x10s in the package tray and a 10in woofer behind the rear center arm rest. The 300W amp for the rear speakers is in the trunk. For your listening habits, you would not need any of that.

Craig

Posted on: 2010/11/27 10:55
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

buddyfromvb
See User information
try secret audio, they have the head under the seat and a remote which keeps everything looking original. if you get one of the older models they are not too expensive the new one with the 10 player cd is a little high.

Posted on: 2010/11/27 20:31
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

patgreen
See User information
Thanks for the ideas. All i need is an amplifier of some kind and a pair of decent speakers, most probably to be mounted in the kick panels. I figure to toss the mp3 in the glove box, perhaps with the amp.....

Frankly, I don't want to pay for a retro price, and at the risk of being snobbish, I just am not interested in radio. If you like pop stuff there are almost always a number of radio stations to choose from; in classical you are lucky to have one, so why bother. MP3 player holds a dozen CDs (or more) so there are choices that I know I like.

My thought originally was that there would be a 12 volt version of a boombox with detachable speakers.... Probably that's just too easy!

Posted on: 2010/11/27 23:02
When two men ride the same horse, one has to be in the back...
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
You can buy a small 45watt amp. Only about 4" x 5" and mount it up under the dash somewhere. It will have RCA inputs. You would just need a mini-jack headphone to RCA adapter. Connect 12v power and ground wire. Also most AMPs have a 12v signal "turn-on" wire that is usually powered by a head unit. So you would just need to wire the to a 12v switched source and mount a on/off switch somewhere.

Something cheap like this would work:

http://cgi.ebay.com/NITRO-BMW43-4-CHANNEL-AMP-300W-SMALL-BIKE-CAR-AMPLIFIER_W0QQitemZ120647993133QQcategoryZ18795QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp4340.m263QQ_trkparmsZalgo%3DSIC%26its%3DI%252BC%26itu%3DUCI%252BIA%252BUA%252BFICS%252BUFI%26otn%3D10%26pmod%3D300465066601%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D5263477706814177350#ht_4070wt_1141

Nothing fancy needed for your application as you dont need a tuner. Look around and you can find lots of budget compact car amps like this. They come in 2 channel and 4 channel applications. If you are only going to have front speakers, than 2 channels is all you would need.

Posted on: 2010/11/27 23:26
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved