Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
153 user(s) are online (97 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 152

29tons, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 »

Re: 1950 6-Cyl Packard Motor.
Home away from home
Home away from home

packardtaximan
See User information
This engine was purchased with parts missing. The carburetor, starter, generator, and distributor are parts from other engines. Thanks for all the input, keep it coming.

Posted on: 2010/11/29 23:40
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

packardtaximan
See User information
I forgot to mention that I have not painted the oil pan yet. That is why it is still rusty. I am still working on the detailing of this project.

Posted on: 2010/11/29 23:45
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
What is interesting is "officially" there is no mention of a 6 past 48. No mention in parts book past 22nd series, no specs in 23rd service counselor even for taxis. Is there any mention in Mr Neal's engine book of any special run of engines? I keep thinking about reading someone's post or an article some time ago that they did build a special run of engines for something. If so, that might explain the strange number but then I could also be hallucinating.

Posted on: 2010/11/30 0:34
Howard
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
I've never seen anything in the official production runs about a 49/50 taxi or export being made. All the references I have point to 48 being the last "official" year for a passenger vehicle with a 6cyl motor.

Posted on: 2010/11/30 1:13
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
My reference in suspecting a 23rd series taxi or export engine was not "official", it was from the appendix in the Dawes book which gives H1501 as the starting motor number. That of course doesn't mean it's correct.

I suspect the most thoroughly researched data on the 6-cylinder taxis etc. may come to light when the Robert Neal book comes to press, hopefully early next year. I have no record of a 23rd series 6 in my thief-proof database but I'll ask Mr. Neal if he actually has any data from a surviving 23rd series 6, and let us know.

Posted on: 2010/11/30 8:48
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Is there any indication of the engine ever having a governor or a PTO attachemnt????? Governor would have most likely been driven from the front of the engine. Maybe the front balancer of off of the side of the timing chain cover near the fuel pump.
A pto would have been driven most likely off of the front of the crank shaft.

Is that the same bellhousing and flywheel that came with the engine?????

Look for any unusual threaded bolt bosses on the manifolds where carb governor linkage may have attached.

Posted on: 2010/11/30 8:50
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Pictures and data sheet on the 6-cylinder IM-245 marine engine of 1947 to 1950 can be found at:

http://www.packardclub.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=509

Not suggesting that the engine is question is a marine version or was based on one, just thought there would be interest in this information. I've sent Robert Neal an email to see if he has a definitive info on a 23rd series 6-cylinder vehicle.

Posted on: 2010/11/30 8:59
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
The serial number should tell the tale. Is it a car, truck or marine number?

Posted on: 2010/11/30 11:25
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
That indeed is the question. The serial number on it doesn't fit within the normal car "letter year" production run. The problem is that my phone calls to East Grand go unanswered. So i would think there are only 4 possible choices:

1) Service Replacement Motor (but still would have expected it to have a "normalish" Packard passenger car serial number).

2) White Truck motor with possible a replacement head on it.

3) Marine Motor (but perhaps not)

4) Some other kind or commercial/agricultural application.

I guess if anyone knows folks in the White Truck circle, perhaps they can shed some light on the engine serial numbers that were used on the Packard supplied White motor blocks. That would either prove, or eliminate it as a "White" block.

Posted on: 2010/11/30 12:07
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Almost certainly not of marine origin. The manifolding could have been exchanged but the marines had a totally different oil pan (which could have also been changed I suppose) and a totally different front end timing chain cover and arrangement whereby the chain also drove a positive-displacement water pump on the front of the manifold side, similar to how the generator was driven in the early 385 and 320 engines.

Still awaiting a reply from Bob Neal about how White 55A engines were numbered, and if he has definitive proof of 23rd series 6-cylinder cars being produced. When I hear back, I'll post.

Posted on: 2010/11/30 13:21
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved