Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
228 user(s) are online (146 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 228

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 3 4 (5)

Re: 6 cyl in a 55...another wacky idea?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Loyd Smith
See User information
Although by '54 most had gone to OHV designs there were still plenty of full-sized, six-cylinder American cars throughout the 50s and 60s. I don't think a 55/56 six-cylinder Clipper would've been that out of place and can understand, fully, Randerson's goal to build one. As some have pointed out, at the very least it would be highly dependable.

Packard was losing its market share in 1954. It wasn't until the advent of the 55s that it lost its reputation for quality.

Those two commodities are, as is said in some quarters, "two entirely different sets of dogs." Market share can be regained. Reputation is much more difficult, once lost.

Posted on: 2010/12/30 15:54
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

R Anderson
See User information
It seemed the inline 6 struggled on for quite a while in big US cars, into the late 70s, before being replaced by the V6 in smaller cars...I recall when Ford introduced their new 7 main bearing 250" 6 around 1965, a neighbor bought one and in a Ford Custom 500 it was very smooth and quiet. GM also replaced their old Stovebolt with a new 6 sometime in the 60s and their 250 cu in 6 was also a 7 main design found in big Biscaynes and the like, we still have one in our '70 Nova sedan we've had in the family since new, it was an optional upgrade over a 4 and smaller 6, a very satisfactory engine, peppy even. Packard's flathead would have no doubt be less sophisticated, but torquey and dependable, as mentioned. I recall also that Checker used Continental flathead 6s well into the 60s.

Posted on: 2010/12/30 17:30
56 Clipper Deluxe survivor
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
There was a swing back to six cylinder engines in the late fifties and early sixties starting with the vogue for compact cars. The big 3 brought out new conventional six cylinder designs while Nash and Studebaker redesigned their flatheads into OHV engines.

What I was driving at was that a six cylinder Packard in 1955 would be out of step with the times and a bit of a "freak". No coubt it would raise eyebrows at any Packard meet.

Posted on: 2010/12/30 19:06
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

R Anderson
See User information
No doubt it would have been a freak, then and now... I've always liked oddballs and plain Janes!

Anyone know of a junked '55/6 with stick shift and pedal assembly?
Anyone know of a rust free-ish 55 Clipper with bad or no engine?

Happy New Year everyone!

Posted on: 2010/12/31 11:00
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
By 1955 the only six cylinder cars you could buy were the cheap ones like the most plain jane Ford, Chev, Plymouth Dodge, Studebaker Champion and Rambler.

Pontiac, Oldsmobile, Buick, Cadillac, Mercury, Lincoln, DeSoto, Chrysler, Imperial, Packard, and the more expensive Nash, Hudson and Studebaker models were V8 only. Even the cheapest cars usually offered a V8 as an option, or a V8 model at slightly higher cost.

A few years earlier a six cylinder Packard would have been in good company with Pontiac, DeSoto, Chrysler,Frazer, Hudson, and Nash all offering six cylinder cars in the medium price range. But by 1955 the six was fast joining the buffalo and the dodo birds.

PS I realize you could still buy a Hudson six or a Kaiser six in the medium price range but hardly anyone did.

A 54 or earlier Packard Clipper would look more natural with a six and it would fit easier to boot.

Posted on: 2010/12/31 16:38
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

R Anderson
See User information
Agreed with all that, but I just like the look of the 55s better, eye of the beholder and all that rot... also consensus seems to be that the 6 would fit fine in a 55, that was sort of the purpose of the post.

Posted on: 2010/12/31 17:38
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mahoning63
See User information
Oh oh.. thought bubble!! As long as we're swapping eras, put the V8 in a pre-war Six. Foreshortened hood is tailor made for the short engine block. Call it a Packard version of the Ford V8 Coupe.

Posted on: 2010/12/31 18:05
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
There was at least one one done that I know of. A former Packard mechanic who used to have a shop in Oceanside area put a V8 with Ultra in a late 30's car. Don't remember which model though. He showed his results off at one of the PI meets many years ago.

Fit front to back was good -- minor changes to cowl for Ultra but said side to side was a real challenge. Steering shaft had to change to one of the modern U joint type shafts because clearing exhaust was an issue and something else in the frame area was a real pain -- but he did it. I don't know what ever happened to the car.

Posted on: 2010/12/31 19:00
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Can we close this thread out with 2010? I think all that is useful has been said about this. Please. Thanks.

(o{I}o)

Posted on: 2010/12/31 23:59
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 3 4 (5)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved