Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
126 user(s) are online (78 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 126

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

32 Light Eight thermostat
Home away from home
Home away from home

Thomas Wilcox
See User information
Dear All,

My Light Eight thermostat was removed and never replaced at some time in the distant past. I am wondering what thermostat I can install. Will a thermostat for a later eight work (like a 38).

As a reminder, the Light Eight did not have the Pines Winterfront/Sylphon thermostat.

Thanks,

Tom

Posted on: 2011/1/9 11:44
--
Thomas Wilcox
34 Roadster, [url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/r
 Top  Print   

Re: 32 Light Eight thermostat
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Perhaps I missed the point of the question, were you asking for a specific Stant or other maker's part number? Any thermostat that will fit the configuration of the retainer and have a suitable temperature rating will work. At my local Pep Boys store (not usually a recommended auto parts store) there is a display board of perhaps 30 or 40 differently sized thermostats - just bring your housing and you should be able to pick one easily at such a display.

Posted on: 2011/1/9 12:17
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Thomas Wilcox
See User information
Great. Thanks!

Tom

Posted on: 2011/1/10 5:37
--
Thomas Wilcox
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Tom, the availability of a thermostat with the temperature rating you need may be hard to find at the parts store around the corner. I would expect a rating of 150-160F is needed, and most modern applications start at 180F. Maybe you will get lucky.

I was at the garage and saw the progress on the '38. She is coming along nicely. One of the guys commented about having problems getting the bottoms of the doors aligned. I seem to recall someting about using a turnbuckle to move the bottom in. This may be a figment of my imagination, but worth a try. I Also got to look at the body of the 733. Man, it is in great shape!

Happy New Year!

(o{I}o)

Posted on: 2011/1/10 12:33
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
JW, you're right of course, it can be an issue. But the 150-160 stats were a necessity in the era of methanol antifreeze [pure methanol boils at about 65 deg. C (150 deg. F)], but with water or EG antifreeze that's not a concern. These engines will run quite nicely at 170-180 but since it's an unpressurized system, that doesn't leave you much upwards margin to the boiling point. If the cooling system is in great shape, a 180 should be just about marginally OK.

Posted on: 2011/1/10 12:55
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Thomas Wilcox
See User information
John, Dave

Thanks for the info. I am sorry for the delay in answering. I have been away from my computer for the last month. I will give kanter a call and see if they can help.

Cheers,

Tom

Posted on: 2011/2/9 9:54
--
Thomas Wilcox
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved