Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
181 user(s) are online (103 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 181

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

neg. vs. postive ground
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
how do i tell what way my car is. + or - ground? there was no battery. i see on the internet that it should be a + ground. but the previous owners says it was neg ground. there is no battery in the car for me to check this.

Posted on: 2008/1/14 11:08
1937 Packard 138-CD Deluxe Touring Limousine
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print   

Re: neg. vs. postive ground
Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
The quickest way is to look at the coil. If the wire going to the distributor is on the + side of the coil, it's positive ground, if it's on the - side of the coil, it's negative ground. I can tell you that it was originally positive ground.

Posted on: 2008/1/14 13:06
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
It was originally POSitive ground. Packard went negative ground in 56.

Posted on: 2008/1/14 13:19
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
i am thinking positive too. there is a strap that is connected to the block that would be on the batteries side that is facing the front of the car. the wire going to the starter is on the pole of the battery that is towards the back of the car, and it is has a black coating.

the coil is facing rearwards and the wire comming out of it is comming out towards the fire wall and goes into the distributer.

would this be positive ground?

Posted on: 2008/1/14 14:40
1937 Packard 138-CD Deluxe Touring Limousine
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Yes of course, the car was originally positive ground. And its possible someone did an incomplete job of converting it to negative ground, God only knows why. There is a simple check you can do, which while not totally definitive, would tell you if a thorough conversion was done. Connect the battery, positive ground. Don't turn on the key or start the engine. Turn on the headlights and see which way the ammeter defects, if it deflects toward discharge the car is most probably still positive ground. If it deflects towards charge, the car was most certainly converted. If it deflects towards discharge, then I'd polarize the generator before starting the car, just to be safe.

Posted on: 2008/1/14 14:50
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Danny Petty
See User information
ok just alittle more fuel to the fire

I plan on hideing a FM radio in my 53 clipper which has bee coverted to 12V. the radio is 12V negative ground, it has 4 wires red for postive, grey right speaker green left speaker, where should i connect the black negative ground wire to the battery or the body?

Posted on: 2008/1/14 22:04
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Mr.Pushbutton
See User information
Your '53 has been converted to 12V? negative or positive ground? (I think I know the answer to this one)

Lemmie guess, GM alternator, right?

Posted on: 2008/1/14 22:13
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Danny Petty
See User information
yes a GM alt

Posted on: 2008/1/14 22:33
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Connect the black wire to the body. The body is ground wire once you have converted to 12-. If it's a newer radio then it should have just two power wires. The main radio power comes off a switched 12v source (Igintion On). Also it will have an Aux power wire (sometime called memory power), that will connected to an always on 12v source. Both of these can be picked up off the dash wire harness.

The you have the ground wire which connect to the body as I said before. Each speaker then should have it's own +/- wire that is different then the power and ground to the radio.

Beside those you will need to connect the antenna lead, and there maybe some auxillar wires (rca-pre amp outs, power antenna trigger, etc) that you probably wont need. Just tape or wire tie those out of the way.

Please consult the wire diragram that came with the radio for more information.

I used to to install car stereos and alarms in a previous life.

Posted on: 2008/1/15 0:11
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Danny Petty
See User information
thanks Kev

this radio is 1970 FM underthe dash model. It was sold to use in cars that only have Am radios but it can be used as a standalone radio. I plan on hideing it and then running my XM through it so I can listen to the Oldies. I have a remote for my XM so I can stash it away out of site also.
I found the Fm radio on Craigs List and it has never been used, got it for $25 great deal for alittle sound.

Posted on: 2008/1/15 7:56
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved