Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
225 user(s) are online (155 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 225

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1940 Clock repair
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Martin OToole
See User information
Looking for a little advice from our talent here. I have dissassembled the dash clock on my 1807. It keeps excellent time, but looks a little faded by the sun. Ordered some plastic numbers from Max Merritt for both the clock and the speedometer before tearing the clock down. (Lesson there.) When I took it apart last night, one of the rings has a silver painted (?) backing which dropped about 1/3 of the paint in flakes immediately. Holding it up to light, you can see that this would affect the appearance of the indirect lighting.

Anyone know what paint is used on this backing?

Martin K. O'Toole

Posted on: 2011/2/10 19:38
1940 Model 1807 Touring Sedan
 Top  Print   

Re: 1940 Clock repair
Home away from home
Home away from home

39SixSedanMan
See User information
Although I can not help you on the correct paint color, I would like to offer a couple suggestions based on my experience rebuilding these Borg clocks.

I suggest that while you have it apart, you add a bit of clock oil to each of the shaft ends. There is a tiny oil reservoir well at each end. You can get this oil from a clock, sewing, or hobby shop, or use the age old 3 in 1 household oil. It is typically an oil that has a 'stringy' thick characteristic.

Also, I would suggest cleaning the electrical points with a small steel file. Given the fact that the clock is essentially a mechanical clock that is rewound every 2 4 minutes by a electromagnet, the points will build up arc damage over time. Gently dragging a steel file over the points, even just a small amount will keep them clean and the allow better current flow through the points. As the points become damaged, they carry less current each time they close. THis results in the clock being rewound to a less degree, which then causes the clock to require rewinding sooner, thus calling on the points to operate more often in an already weakened state. This causes a very fast decline of the function. So, keeping the contacts clean is a very simple way to keep it running. My experience is that these things are very reliable.

I hope this helps,
Pat

Posted on: 2011/2/11 13:20
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Martin OToole
See User information
Thanks for the suggestions. Sounds sound. :)

MKOT

Posted on: 2011/2/11 15:00
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

West Peterson
See User information
Martin
I wouldn't listen to him if I were you.
Just kidding. Pat helped me get my clock working also. He e-mailed and told me you were seeking help, but I was in Philadelphia last week. Unfortunately, my car is in storage right now and I don't even remember there being any paint on the clock face. Can you post a photo? or e-mail to me?
StelvioGT@yahoo.com

Edited: Wait. Now I remember the ring. Yes, the paint on mine was very fragile as well. I don't think I had to do anything, though, or it was very minor problem. I'd still have to see the ring so I can remember why it wouldn't be a simple repaint option.

Posted on: 2011/2/14 17:55
West Peterson
1930 Packard Speedster Eight Runabout (boattail)
1940 Packard 1808 w/Factory Air
1947 Chrysler Town and Country sedan
1970 Camaro RS

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=4307&forum=10

http://aaca.org/
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Martin OToole
See User information
I'll make the photos tomorrow and post them.

MKOT

Posted on: 2011/2/14 23:18
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved