Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
205 user(s) are online (143 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 205

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3)

Re: Over drive won't work
Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
Dear Packard47:

Okay, I assume that grounding terminal 5 on the OD relay results in solenoid engagement. If the answer is yes, then the problem is in the ground control circuit.

If you are not sure of which is terminal 5 you can use a test light which acts the same as a ground wire but will not short out the harness.

Start at the governor. It gets its ground through a plate and screw that corrodes and loses conductivity. To fix this get a #10 star washer and clean the area with sandpaper.

Hope this fixes your problem.

Posted on: 2012/4/21 6:41
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joseph Earl
See User information
Quote:

packard1949 wrote:
Again when you ground Terminal 5 you should hear the relay kick in and the solenoid on the transmission. On my car the relay works but no solenoid. There are some tricks in getting the solenoid in and out of the car. Check out the info section on Econo drive. Also solenoids are repairable if it is the contacts otherwise the best price I have found is Max Merritt-if you have other sources let me know

Relay and solenoid click and light goes on. I'm going to check the lockout switch next.

Posted on: 2012/4/22 13:17
Joey

(?=#=?)

"If chrome got me home, I'd for sure still be stuck somewhere."

[url=http://pac
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joseph Earl
See User information
Lockout switch shows no continuity with knob in (or out).

Posted on: 2012/4/22 13:26
Joey

(?=#=?)

Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Some have found severe wear on the bottom of the bakelite switch plunger. One was able to get some added life by removing the washer so switch dropped down further. I think one switch was too far gone & was replaced. If something like that is found, I wonder if plunger could be worked or drilled and tapped for a nylon screw which could be added on the end instead of replacement.

If switch is OK, the cable to lockout lever on trans can be misadjusted so knob doen't go in all the way to activate switch.

Posted on: 2012/4/22 13:54
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joseph Earl
See User information
I removed the lockout switch, and after examining it i realized there was no way to disassemble it. So I sprayed some contact cleaner around the button, worked the button several times, and brought it back to life!

Reinstalled the switch; it works now, but the OD still doesn't. Probably need to examine the governor.

Posted on: 2012/4/22 17:52
Joey

(?=#=?)

Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
On governor, the overdrive will use the exposed terminal wire sort of in the middle of cover & possibly labeled AD. The one in a raised area usually covered with tar is for the clutch. Some have found those reversed. Not likely your problem because the solenoid didn't come in when you fixed the lockout.

Another FYI. Some of the early cars used a loom made in two sections. A short maybe 3 ft loom from OD was joined to the main loom by 6 black connectors. If you have an early one still with the connectors, those were cited in bulletins as being intermittent & generally causing problems. Packard even suggested eliminating the connectors and made later looms one piece. Something else to look for.

Posted on: 2012/4/22 18:40
Howard
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 (3)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved