Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
166 user(s) are online (76 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 166

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: 22 Series Tire Size Question
Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Michael writes:

"I'm looking forward to being able to track a straight line with this beast of a car"

Is this problem experienced at speeds only OVER 40 mph or at ANY speed????

Posted on: 2011/3/5 11:16
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Michal, Mid Atlantic Packards (Dale Mease, 15604 Old Hancock Rd. N.E., Cumberland, MD 21502, measey@atlanticbb.net, 240-362-7705 tel., 240-362-7744 fax) sells Diamond Back tires at a discount. You can see their ad in the Cormorant News Bulletin. They may be able to save you some money.

(o{I}o)

Posted on: 2011/3/5 11:32
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Michal
See User information
Hey PackardV8,

It'll wander at 15 mph! Always kind enough to come back in line eventually so it's not a hair-raising ride down the street; just annoying. I'm resigned to go shopping.

JW, thanks for the lead on a possible deal out there.

Fred, you threw a whole other tire size into the ring with your 700R-15. Wonder how that stacks up to 225/75R15? A little shorter?

(On a totally unrelated note: made a few twists to the carb mixture screws - noticeable improvement!)

Posted on: 2011/3/5 14:42
Michal

Proud owner of a '48 2272 but I really wanted a club sedan?
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
It'll wander at 15 mph!

That's not tires - sounds like you have some significant front end wear or alignment issues, and/or perhaps excessive free play in the steering box. How much free play do you have in the steering wheel, at the rim, left to right at the approximate centerpoint?

Posted on: 2011/3/5 14:50
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Michal
See User information
Good thinking and I will double check to be sure but my steering is tight. I'm still thinking tires as the wander only happens when I'm rolling over road irregularities; gimme a smooth stretch and I get a taste of what the Packard ride should be.

I'm familiar with the feel of loose steering with some of our old trucks... now that is a nerve-racking issue to wrangle with.

I do think I might have shock issues too but one thing at a time...

Attach file:

jpg  (25.93 KB)
2646_4d72978fec692.jpg 640X376 px

Posted on: 2011/3/5 15:05
Michal

Proud owner of a '48 2272 but I really wanted a club sedan?
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

fred kanter
See User information
You can diagnose many alignment problems from the wear patterns on the front tires. Search the internet, surely there are many sites.

Have someone turn the steering wheel up and back a bit while you look under the car to see if anything is loose.
A broken center link inner spring or loose idler arm bushing
will cause problems. Read a service manual for hints on what to look at. Don't reinvent the wheel (couldn't resist)

Posted on: 2011/3/6 1:04
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Denny Z
See User information
I have purchased many tires from Diamondback because they were about the only option out there for WW radials.
I have had some white wall issues; one set of wide whites turned yellow after about a year and kept "bleeding" through. The replacements I purchased have now cracked white walls. On the plus side, the set of 700 X 15 WW radials I put on our '41 have worked out great! They have greatly improved the tracking down the road.

Posted on: 2011/3/7 11:52
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
Dr. Seuss
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved