Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
161 user(s) are online (96 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 160

Jim in Boone, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

22 Series Tire Size Question
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Michal
See User information
Howdy Packard Fans,

Pretty sure new tires are in order soon. I currently have "Coker Classic" 4-Ply WWW L78-15 on my 2272 and spent a little time on the Diamond Back site as they seem to have nothing but satisfied customers. Using their nifty size chart, I get the idea that my current tires are about an inch taller than stock.

I thought I'd call on the collective wisdom here on whether to stick with what would now be a 235-75R15 or return to a 225-etc. Anyone able to double-check my understanding of these tire sizes off the top of their head?

Heck, anyone want to just point me to the right Diamond Backs for my car? I gotta say all the family talk on their website and the chatter about why their tires are the best... well I just ate that right up.

I'm looking forward to being able to track a straight line with this beast of a car.

Michal

Posted on: 2011/3/2 23:05
Michal

Proud owner of a '48 2272 but I really wanted a club sedan?
 Top  Print   

Re: 22 Series Tire Size Question
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
The original tire size on your 22nd series Super was 7.60 x 15; an alpha-series "L" is MUCH too wide, I'm surprised that it even fits in the rear fender well.

The generally accepted radial replacement for 7.60 x 15 is 225/75R15, 235's may also give interference with the rear fender clearances.

You seem to suggest your car has poor road manners. Keep in mind that may be the result of a worn and misaligned front suspension and if so, just changing to radial tires won't solve that, though it may mask it to some extent.

Posted on: 2011/3/3 10:00
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fred Puhn
See User information
I spent many weeks last year researching the tires to put on my 23rd series sedan. Here are the issues:

1. My Packard has the standard 3.9 rear axle ratio and does not have overdrive. The tire outside diameter must by large enough to allow cruising on the freeway without over-revving the engine. A modern low-profile radial is several inches smaller diameter than original and raises the rpm by about 10%.
2. A modern low-profile radial that has the right outside diameter is too wide to fit in the rear fender well. Small diameter tires are the only choice that fit the car.
3. Low fat tires look wrong on a 1950 car.
4. Bias ply tires of the correct dimensions are available, but they cause the car to wander on the freeway. I wanted the improved stability of radials.
5. The tread pattern of a modern tire looks incorrect for 1950 car.

I ended up with Diamondback radials, even though they were the most expensive tires option. They met all my requirements and I am very happy with them. Tires matter a lot so the extra money was well worth it.

Posted on: 2011/3/3 10:41
Fred Puhn
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
I put 235/75R/15's on my '50 Custom . The fit in the trunk well is tight! I had no problems with clearance in any of the fender wells. I got the 3.5 inch wide Diamond Back whitewalls and went with the extra cost raised 'Beauty Ring'. When I got the car it had what I believe was an original factory tire in the trunk which had a 4 inch whitewall.

I agree with Dave (Owen) that mis-alignment problems can cause wandering. I also think very old bias ply tires can contribute to the problem. I had severe wandering problems when I first got the car. I was constantly tensed over the steering wheel as the car followed every imperfection in the road. The car had bias ply tires that I suspect were over 20 years old. The difference I experienced with radials was amazing. I also had my shocks rebuilt as they wouldn't hold fluid for more than a few days.

Note: the original tire for the Custom was a 15 X 8.20

Attach file:

jpg  (85.04 KB)
188_4d6fbf7b8c1ab.jpg 1011X724 px

Posted on: 2011/3/3 11:24
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
OEM tire size on Custom 8s was larger than Super Eights or Eights, 8.20 x 15.

Posted on: 2011/3/3 11:38
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
Thanks O_D, I think we both included that bit of info at exactly the same time.

Posted on: 2011/3/3 12:01
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Michal
See User information
Thanks for the guidance everyone. Now we've racked this car several times and the front end looks healthy. I will check on the fluid in the shocks but I'm convinced tires are the next step. Makes sense that my current tires are much too wide; it was a bear getting the passenger rear off & on. Had to darn near deflate it. Looks like I'll be placing an order with Diamond Back soon...

Michal

Posted on: 2011/3/3 12:47
Michal

Proud owner of a '48 2272 but I really wanted a club sedan?
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fred Puhn
See User information
Another issue may be important. On my Packard the lateral clearance on the rear tires was different from right to left. That could be caused by tolerances related to body mounting on the frame. I had my rear end aligned and the Panhard rod rebuilt, so it was not caused by worn out suspension. If your car has unsymmetrical clearance like mine it deserves checking of the clearance on both sides, not just one side. On my car there was no possible way a 235/75 tire would fit at the rear on both sides.

Posted on: 2011/3/3 13:15
Fred Puhn
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike
See User information
Fred,

What size tires did you end up with?

-Mike

Posted on: 2011/3/3 13:59
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fred Puhn
See User information
The tires on my 23rd series Packard are 700R-15 from Diamondback Tires. They replace the dimensions and the appearance of the original 760x15 tires as closely as possible, but they are radials. I am very happy with them even though the cost for 4 tires was near $1100. I have some wear in the front end and the car tracks nicely down the freeway. The original tire OD allows a safe 60-65 mph cruising speed without overdrive.

Posted on: 2011/3/5 10:12
Fred Puhn
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved