Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
135 user(s) are online (72 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 135

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Dietrich Inc. Detroit - badge
Just popping in
Just popping in

My3buicks
See User information
I have posted 2 photo's of a Dietrich Inc. Detroit badge that I have. I found this in the Chauffeur room tool drawer in the under house garage of Packard Manor in Chautauqua, NY when I called it home during three summers around 1980. More than likely it came off of one of Mr Packards cars. I can only imagine some of the fantastic Packard's that graced that garage.

Can anyone tell me a little more about the tag? What time period? Where it would have been mounted?

It is approximately 2 1/2"'s long by 3/4 inch wide.

I would say either made of brass or bronze.

Living in that grand manor and learning all the history and nuances of that home was certainly a highlight of my young life.

Attach file:

jpg  (197.36 KB)
3546_4d703c4d9ce1c.jpg 1600X1200 px

jpg  (150.54 KB)
3546_4d703c6dd254f.jpg 1600X1200 px

Posted on: 2011/3/3 20:12
 Top  Print 

Re: Dietrich Inc. Detroit - badge
Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
I'm a little confused. Does the orangish leather background that the emblem is placed on have some relationship to the badge or is the leather just something u artitrarily happened to place the badge on for photography???

Posted on: 2011/3/3 20:33
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print 

Just popping in
Just popping in

My3buicks
See User information
No, it's just the cover of my Kindle that I thought would work well as a background.

Posted on: 2011/3/3 20:37
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Can anyone tell me ......where it would have been mounted?

Normal convention among most coachbuilders, European or American, was to place it on the passengere's side (right side here in the US) just forward of the front door, down low by the sill. That said, there were exceptions, for example some coachbuilders incorporated it into the rear door sill plate, and there are other variations.

The Dietrich plate you show was in use for many years. On Packards it was also usually accompanied by the Dietrich build# plate. This was often under the carpet by the front passenger seat, but again there are other variations. Pictures below are from a 1935 Twelve which was left over unsold, and updated and sold as a 1936.

Attach file:

jpg  (118.43 KB)
177_4d70691551bdb.jpg 948X1198 px

Posted on: 2011/3/3 23:23
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

fred kanter
See User information
A SHOT IN THE DARK.

There is no place on the body I know of that is rounded like the emblem is. As this was a summer home perhaps someone mounted it on the frame of a bicycle or a baby carriage as a lark (not a Lark!). I think I see evidence near the holes of it being mounted??

Posted on: 2011/3/4 5:40
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
There is no place on the body I know of that is rounded like the emblem is.

Fred, take a look at the very base of the cowl on 32-34 Packards, where it meets the running board splash apron/front fender. It's got a lateral rounded section much like the shape of the Dietrich plate. That said, every Dietrich plate I've seen is mounted just above that, on the flat portion of the lower cowl side. Another shot in the dark like yours - someone had the Dietrich plate and wanted to "upgrade" a non-Dietrich-tagged car, curved it, and fastened it in the incorrect position?

Posted on: 2011/3/4 9:26
 Top  Print 

Just popping in
Just popping in

My3buicks
See User information
Thanks guys. There are no marks or indication that this was altered. If altered you would think under magnifying glass I could see tool marks or stress related marks. If I hadn't found it in the Packard home I would be more intuned with the modifying it to fit something else though. Hopefully someone with a similar curved plate will chime in.
Again, thanks for all input.

Posted on: 2011/3/4 9:49
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
Quote:
...If I hadn't found it in the Packard home I would be more intuned with the modifying it to fit something else though...

Just for entertaining:

"...Due to unforeseen problems with the UAW in regards to an untenable UAW craftsmen/apprentice ratio and a general lack of work, Dietrich closed the Grand Rapids shop in 1953 and returned to consulting for Checker. He also did some work for Ford Motor Co. and was involved in the design of Continental Mk II which debuted in October 1955. He was also involved with Preston Tucker's Carioca automobile, but Tucker's 1956 death ended the project. He retired from active automotive consultation in 1960, but soon embarked on another career, designing electric guitars for Kalamazoo's Gibson Guitars.

In the early 1960s, Ted McCarty - Gibson's president - asked Ray Dietrich to try his hand at designing a guitar. Dietrich reversed conventional design, putting the longest body horn on the treble side and all the tuners on the treble side, and he made the neck and body a single piece. His design was called the Firebird, and it debuted in 1963 but met with only moderate success before the body shape was revamped into a "non-reverse" style in 1965. Gibson periodically re-releases the Firebird, so I imagine that one of Dietrich's guitars can be purchased for substantially less money than one of his cars..."

source: www.coachbuilt.com

May this badge is a leftover of a jam session with Jimi Hendrix?

Quote:
...If altered you would think under magnifying glass I could see tool marks or stress related marks...

To see the marks you need a psychedelic point off view.
I see them all. Wonderful marks ...

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/bng3agUOYiI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Posted on: 2011/3/12 6:32
The story of ZIS-110, ZIS-115, ZIL-111 & Chaika GAZ-13 on www.guscha.de
 Top  Print 

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

dongle
See User information
For your consideration. From the photo its hard to confirm what it is, but this car seems to have the badge fixed to a door piller. It appears to have been shaped similar to that shown by the O.P.

E-Bay Car

I'd pull the photos off and copy them here so we had a more permanent record, but I'm challenged that way

Dongle

Posted on: 2011/3/18 6:11
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
Done.

1928 Packard Dietrich Cabriolet Limousine

[picture source buickbill53 / ebay]

Attach file:

jpg  (75.05 KB)
757_4d835379bedb2.jpg 800X600 px

jpg  (48.66 KB)
757_4d8353858e080.jpg 800X600 px

jpg  (42.73 KB)
757_4d83539135e7a.jpg 800X600 px

jpg  (39.17 KB)
757_4d8358f49b8f8.jpg 500X404 px

Posted on: 2011/3/18 7:44
The story of ZIS-110, ZIS-115, ZIL-111 & Chaika GAZ-13 on www.guscha.de
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved