Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
144 user(s) are online (109 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 143

BDeB, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 »

Need help figuring this girl out...
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

browenb
See User information
Ok, so I've partially cleaned up the tag, Can anyone give me a general Idea of what this car is other than a 49 packard?

Is there anyway to know if it was originally an automatic, and what engine it should have?

Attach file:

jpg  (169.07 KB)
3415_4d894c4e7c7d1.jpg 1232X912 px

jpg  (73.49 KB)
3415_4d894c6daeadc.jpg 960X720 px

jpg  (225.16 KB)
3415_4d894ca106020.jpg 1568X1168 px

jpg  (93.12 KB)
3415_4d894cb7a35ef.jpg 960X720 px

Posted on: 2011/3/22 20:27
 Top  Print   

Re: Need help figuring this girl out...
Home away from home
Home away from home

J.R. Buzzell
See User information
I assume you,ve been welcomed here before, but again welcome! I see you have a 22nd series car, yes? I believe the car is a Standard Eight, and is, indeed, a 1949. The large number on the firewall is the theft-proof number (not quite sure what this indicates) and the small tag below that is the Briggs body number tag (the number of the body as it was built. The number beginning with an A on the engine block, I'm not sure of, but the 288 indicates the cubic inch size of the engine. Because your car is from the 22nd series it came with a 3-speed manual transmission, as the Ultramatic Drive was not introduced until the 23rd series (late 1949).

Posted on: 2011/3/22 20:34
J.R. Buzzell

1949 23rd Series Deluxe Eight Touring Sedan
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/index.php?Action=view&ID=867
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

J.R. Buzzell
See User information
It should have a straight 8 cylinder, 288 CI engine with 135 HP.

Posted on: 2011/3/22 20:35
J.R. Buzzell

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/index.php?Action=view&ID=867
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

browenb
See User information
Awesome info! Thank you very much...

Now, how do I find out what transmission is in it? As the car now has a column shift automatic.

Posted on: 2011/3/22 20:38
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Actually it's a 23rd series Packard. This series was built from mid 1949 thru the end of the 1950 model year. And the -5- indicates your car is a 1950 model. That's not surprising that it's titled as a 1949, many state DMVs got confused by the numbering system.

2392 denotes a 23rd Series Eight, and subtracting 2001 from the second part of the vehicle # give you it's production sequence.

The metal tag by the heater is the # assigned by the body builder (Briggs Corp) and it's rather typical that they don't quite match.

The large embossed # is the "thief-proof" number which was a # to be used if the original vehicle number was defaced, altered or missing.

Packard's own automatic transmission, Ultramatic, was introduced with the 23rd series but was only standard equipment in the top-of-line model, the Custom 8. It wss optional in yours and the mid-line Super Eight.

Posted on: 2011/3/22 20:38
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

browenb
See User information
So, even though there is a hole in the floor for a clutch pedal, it could have originally came with an automatic column shift?

Posted on: 2011/3/22 20:52
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
By the time these cars reach this age, there could have been any number of changes and modifications; unless you can find the original build slip (over the glove box), it may be hard to determine just what the original configuration might have been. Could have been a conventional 3-speed standard shift (column operated), or a 3-speed with overdrive, or been equipped with the optional automatic, also controlled by a column lever. In the last case, the quadrant showing the transmission selector and pointer should be on the top of the steering column shroud just behind the steering wheel, or if it's been removed, the holes might stil be there.

What transmission is currently in the car, a stick or an automatic?

I don't honestly know if the Ultramatic-equipped cars used a separate toe board w/o the hole for the clutch pedal, or if it was blanked off, but someone else I'm sure will have some information on that.

Some left-over 23rd series 1949 cars were factory renumbered with new vehicle number plates to allow them to be sold as a 1950 model, but your sequential production # of 38,XXX is much to low for that - it was built as a 23rd series 1950 model.

Posted on: 2011/3/22 22:14
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
Looked at your other photos--your car has the "Ultramatic" transmission. All the cars used the same toe plate around the pedal and the extra hole was originally closed off with a piece of something like roofers felt. Incidentaly, the carb is is a Carter WGD which was used on many other cars. Kits are no problem to obtain. Check 51packard's project blog.

Posted on: 2011/3/23 5:35
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
The Spring copy of the Packard Club Cormorant has some excellent discussions on the 48/49/50 Packards. There is one dealing with the rather confusing serial number issues and the fact that many 49's were updated to be sold as 50 models.

Posted on: 2011/3/23 10:58
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

J.R. Buzzell
See User information
I'm terribly sorry. I've made the same mistake twice in a row now. Your car is indeed a 23rd series, indicated by the 23 at the beginning of the serial number. I should've known, I own one! It is a 1950 Standard Eight (2392-5-) with Ultramatic Drive. The piece of paper on the top of the glovebox also states all of the optional material on the car as well as the paint, and trim codes. Please see if you can get to this document and post the info on this thread. Thanks!

Posted on: 2011/3/23 16:26
J.R. Buzzell

Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved