Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
189 user(s) are online (115 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 187

Ozstatman, JohnCB, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Transmission conversion adapter
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Trog
See User information
Anyone know if the adapter shown at this site will work on the '41 120 straight 8 282 engine? The site just says "straight 8 Packard." I'm not familiar enough with the details to know if the kit shown would work.
http://www.transmissionadapters.com/Packard%20to%20Chev%20adapter%20kit.htm Edited for 282 engine.

Posted on: 2011/3/26 16:53
 Top  Print   

Re: Transmission conversion adapter
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:
Trog wrote:Anyone know if the adapter shown at this site will work on the '41 120 straight 8 288 engine?.......
Your '41 engine should nominally be 282 cubic inches. The 288/327/359 series of engines came into effect later, 1948 I think? I'd also think the adaptor kit would be for the 288/327/359 series of engines because the Packard Ultramatic transmission didn't exist before those engines and I'd think the kit is designed to replace one type of automatic trans with another. That said, there is a possibility it could work but would be dependent on a number of factors the major ones being the bellhousing bolt pattern on the engine block and the crankshaft/flywheel bolt pattern as well as any offset/spacing issues with the flexplate when mounted. Others with greater familiarity on the differences, or for that matter similarities, between the 282 and 288/327/359 engines may be better able to advise. Whatever happens, it's a big project!

Posted on: 2011/3/26 17:56
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved