Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
232 user(s) are online (127 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 5
Guests: 227

Mike52_200, Tom (Packin31), humanpotatohybrid, BigKev, Don B, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: I'm thinking of creating a sign for my car for car shows and similar endeavors.
Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Based on the current CPI (Consumer Price Index), $5,000 in 1956 in the same as $40,682 in todays money.

Posted on: 2011/4/1 15:36
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Re: I'm thinking of creating a sign for my car for car shows and similar endeavors.
Home away from home
Home away from home

Joel Ray
See User information
S-P offered a genuine factory accessory "lighted" vanity mirror for 1956. Check the accessories catalog. The lighted part was powered by batteries.
Here is a link to the accessory catalog. I have one of the mirrors squirreled away somewhere.

https://www.packardinfo.com/xoops/html/downloads/56AccessoriesBooklet.pdf

Posted on: 2011/4/1 22:30
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Learn something daily. Didn't realize that was a battery compartment or they even had batteries that small then. All I remember is the big old flashlight batteries and tall dry cells and square lantern batteries from science class.

Posted on: 2011/4/1 23:01
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Mr.Pushbutton
See User information
A couple of re-writes, for your consideration:

1956 Packard Patrician

In 1956 the Patrician was Packard's top-of-the-line four door touring sedan. 3,775 were made; about 200 remain. Although the Packard name continued for two more years on rebadged Studebakers, this was the last year for Packard/Detroit engineered and built cars, as an independent manufacturer .

How does your modern car compare?

As a very expensive (this one was about $5,000; double the price then for a nice Chevy) American luxury car, it's interesting to see how this car was originally equipped--and what was not thought of in 1956, It's worth noting that average annual income then was only $ 4,800.

Has: 1956 was the second year for Packard's new V-8 engine (374 ci, 290 hp). It was also the second year for their highly praised torsion bar suspension, which combined a soft "luxury" ride with firm cornering. "Ultramatic automatic transmission was standard equipment, as were power steering and power brakes (drums). Wire wheel hubcaps were optional, but unusual on a sedan.

Fueled weight is about 4,500 pounds; length is 18' 3".
Amenities included luxurious Jacquard cloth upholstery, a four way power seat, signal seeking AM radio, power antenna, front and rear heaters. Two tone paint was standard.

Lacks: Air conditioning, power windows (optional features on all 1956 Packards, seat belts (accessory item) lit vanity mirror(s?).
Items like individual adjustable seats, radial tires, anti-lock disc brakes, alternator, drink holders, GPS, stereo FM/CD/MP-3 music, electronic ignition (or any kind of computer!) were far in the future when this car was new.

Version 2:

1956 Packard Patrician
a legend's swan song

The Patrician was Packard's top-of-the-line touring sedan for 1956, the model name refers to the highest social class in ancient Rome.
3,775 Patricians were produced that year in an abbreviated model run; Packard ceased operations in Detroit in June of that year, rebadged Studebaker models bore the Packard name for two more years before the marque disappeared.

Comparing this car to your modern car:
As a high-end luxury offering it is interesting to see how this car was equipped. The 374 cu. In. V-8 engine was only in the second year of it's run, it produces 290 hp, and is coupled to the Packard-built "Ultramatic" two-speed automatic transmission (standard equipment on the Patrician). Packard's excellent "Torsion Level" full length torsion bar suspension gave a soft luxury ride while offering tight handling characteristics. Wire wheel hubcaps were a rarely-chosen option on this conservative sedan. Fueled weight is approximately 4,500 lbs, overall length is 18'3".
The interior features Jacquard cloth seats, four-way power assist seats, signal-seeking AM radio, power brakes (drum) power antenna,
Front and rear compartment heaters.
Your modern must have seat belts by law; in 1956 they were an extra-cost accessory item. Most modern cars have air conditioning, the original buyer of this car did not choose this option, or power windows or lit vanity mirror. Common features today like individual adjustable seats, radial tires, anti-lock disc brakes, alternator, drink holders, GPS, stereo FM/CD/MP-3 music systems, electronic ignition (or any kind of computer) were far in the future when this car was new. Like today's luxury cars, the 1956 Patrician represented the latest technology available when new.

Original cost: $5,000
1956 Average annual income: $4,800

Posted on: 2011/4/1 23:48
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Not to go too far off-topic, but a very funny story to relate. A couple of years ago I was invited to bring the 34 Packard to an 7th/8th grade class in an advanced school. The kid's project was to find a niche for a new car and develop a business plan complete with factory space, staffing, payroll & benefits, sketches of the car, budgets and projections, etc. Along with my 34 was a new Hummer.

Comments from the kids about the 34 were priceless - the first was that I must have had the car flatbedded to their school. When I asked the kid why he said that, he responded that since the car didn't have seat belts, it couldn't be driven. Another was a gal who pointed to the window crank on the door and asked what it was for. I told her to turn it and find out, and when the window glass went down she was in total amazement. And many others as you can image - for example what's the "stick" coming out of the floor? What's the "box" on the back? Etc.

Posted on: 2011/4/2 9:03
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I can believe it. Imagine the kids reaction if you had brought something even older that had fewer amenities. How would your sign for that one have to read along the lines of what patgreen is trying to do.

Posted on: 2011/4/2 9:22
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Owen -

Great story, but I have to question the judgement of a teacher who would assign a project to "develop a business plan complete with factory space, staffing, payroll & benefits, sketches of the car, budgets and projections, etc." to a 7th/8th grade class - even in an advanced school.

So many people say it was a huge mistake it was for Packard to move vehicle assembly from East Grand to the Conner Plant - and that was a strategic management decision made by ADULTS! Yet, how many of those kids in that class can tell you how a four-stroke internal combustion engine works? Can any of them even reconcile bank statement at that age? What I mean is the scope and magnitude of the assigned project was far beyond them.

The better part of that assignment was simply bringing an antique auto and a late model vehicle to examine and compare. I bet those kids - maybe even the teacher - learned more from that simple exploration than struggling to grasp the ethereal concepts like industrial design/engineering and corporate finance at that age.

Posted on: 2011/4/2 10:16
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

patgreen
See User information
Wow. Really nice writing effort!

Only quibble is that I have wire wheels, not the hubcaps....

Choices and decisions......

I think this has gelled rather nicely.

I am surprised that people did not spend more time rewriting the torsion level part.

The lit vanity mirror is also interesting: I don't see the battery operated one as serious in the same way as the wired in version in today's cars. In any event, hardly a deal breaker.....

The other problem left undiscussed is the issue of length. More copy may clarify; I wanted fewer words so the words could be bigger and thus more readable to those of us who do not see so well......

As to how and where to do the sign, I had thought of a magnetic sign, but have come around to the idea of an easel and a sign mounted on foam core, which is easy at Kinkos. Don't like the under the wiper approach because it gets people leaning on or over the car. In the end, I may opt for 8 1/2 x 11 in a frame, adding a clip to the frame so it hangs on a rear window......

Or not.....

Thank you all for useful input!

Posted on: 2011/4/2 16:25
When two men ride the same horse, one has to be in the back...
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Mr.Pushbutton
See User information
The reason I mentioned wire wheel hubcaps is that they were offered for the Patrician, wire wheels were not. In the interest of keeping it short, I would omit the whole "compared to your (modern) car" thing, it's apples and oranges anyhow.

Here is what I would have as s short, fast-read sign:

1956 Packard Patrician
a legend's swan song

The Patrician was Packard's top-of-the-line touring sedan for 1956, the model name refers to the highest social class in ancient Rome.
3,775 Patricians were produced that year in an abbreviated model run; Packard ceased operations in Detroit in June of that year, rebadged Studebaker models bore the Packard name for two more years before the marque disappeared.
Packard's 374 Cu. In. V-8 engines produces 290 hp, and is coupled to the Packard-built "Ultramatic" two-speed automatic transmission (standard equipment on the Patrician). Packard's excellent "Torsion Level" full-length torsion bar suspension gave a soft luxury ride while offering tight handling characteristics.
Power brakes, power Steering, power antenna and front and rear compartment heater were optional equipment.
The interior features Jacquard cloth seats, four-way power assist seats, signal-seeking AM radio and carpet. Wire wheels were not an option on the conservative Patrician models, they were an extra cost option on Packard's flashy Caribbean models.

That's 151 words.

Here is how we did it at the museum:

1956 Packard Patrician
a legend's swan song

The Patrician was Packard's top-of-the-line touring sedan for 1956.
The 1956 models featured many technical advances, the most notable being "Torsion Level" suspension, which gave a soft luxury ride while offering tight handling characteristics. The 1956 Packards brought back a level of luxury that had been the company's trademark before WWII, management after the war preferred building more mundane cars.
The wire wheels seen on this car were not an option on the conservative Patrician model, they were an extra cost option on Packard's flashy Caribbean models.

Engine: 374 Cu. In. OHV-V8

Horsepower: 290 hp

Transmission: Packard-built "Twin Ultramatic" two-speed automatic

Wheelbase: 127 inches

Suspension: full-length interconnected torsion bars, front and rear

Length: 218 inches

Weight: 4,500 lbs.

Options: Power brakes, power steering, power antenna, power seat, front and rear compartment heater

Original price: $5,000 (as equipped)

1956 average annual income: $4,800

Posted on: 2011/4/2 18:44
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

patgreen
See User information
I like them both!

FWIW wires were an option for all senior cars. $325 if I remember.

Posted on: 2011/4/2 21:24
When two men ride the same horse, one has to be in the back...
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved