Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
71 user(s) are online (53 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 71

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Problems with modern gas
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
As much as I hate the stuff and governmental meddling it represents, I've really had no significant problems with it other than I wish there were a higher octane available for the Caribbean. Perhaps I'm just lucky.

I did have to rebuild the fuel pump and replace the flex line on both cars, perhaps 10 or 15 years ago, whenever the crap became mandatory here in NJ. The carbs on the Caribbean were rebuilt recently by Daytona, but for a reason not connected with the gasoline formulation. The 34 carb was rebuilt back about 1975 and hasn't been redone since - I did recently remove the bowl cover and check, but it was clean as a whistle. I will say however that I've always avoided the Viton (or whatever polymer they might use today) tipped needles and always gone with the traditional steel needle and brass seat. Both cars have seen plenty of HOT driving conditions but never had vapor lock. Never had any gas tank or line issues either, both cars still running the original lines. Both cars have the ceramic type filters in a glass bowl; I do clean them every 5 years or so but never find anything but the smallest bit of sediment which probably comes from the gas station. I just soak and reverse-blow the ceramic elements and reuse the, though the rubber gaskets are rarely suitable for a reuse. The cars lay up from about the end of November to late March each year with the tanks filled and plastic wrap under the gas cap to prevent damp air from moving in and out as temperature variations raise and lower the fuel level. I also put a plastic baggie over the carburetor during the winter and tie it closed as best I can. I have just recently starting using StaBil just as a precaution.

I do recognize that others have had plenty of problems but I suspect that once their cars are up to snuff and see more or less regular road use, their problems will diminish quickly.

Posted on: 2011/4/19 13:00
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
The following map tends to explain it all. No political party references intended on my part. I didn't make the map but it tends to ring true. And i have to live in the middle of it:

http://www.kennworld.net/uploaded_images/dumbfuckistan-750073.jpg

Posted on: 2011/4/19 14:20
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
I don't have much trouble out of the ethanol gasoline. Some occasional very minor symptoms of vapour lock. I can still get the NO ethanol gas at most gas stations here in Tn. but it abut 20 cents/gallon more than premium and it''s 87 octane.

I'm wondering if the corn belt gets a better grade or less detrimental grade than the coastal/boundry states.

Posted on: 2011/4/19 14:32
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
I've been passively involved in some float testing for Linkert carbs. MODERN floats R&D'ed by a sole mfg'er of the modern material floats. OEM and for decades NOS and NORS floats were shellaced cork.

I never had any trouble myself with OEM or OEM type floats.

But according to the R&D outfit making the new floats there are wide variations of gasoline formulation and additives etc according to regions of the US.

This float issue with the linkerts has been going on for about 8 years or more. The man in charge is well informed from his many sales of the modern float as well as feedback worldwide.

Posted on: 2011/4/19 14:48
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

scottie
See User information
Well, everything has been replaced from the tank all the way to the carb. Changed out all the lines, replaced and moved the fuel pump and added a pressure regulator. Seems to be doing ok! Thanks for all the info guys! I really appreciate it!

Scott

Posted on: 2011/4/27 21:49
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Packard V8, let's leave the political crap out of these postings. We can all get this stuff from many other sources anytime. This site is about Packards regardless of any political, religious, ethnic, or gender views.

(o{I}o)

Posted on: 2011/4/27 21:57
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

scottie
See User information
Well, just got new plugs as well. The plugs that were in her were too cool of a range. Hopefully, everything goes well tomorrow. Change the plugs, adjust the timing and carb, and I've got my fingers crossed! By the way, Owen, you should see the octane level ratings here in utah. From all the traveling that I've done in the past year, we have the lowest octane fuel out of ANY state I've been in! Thanks again all!

Scott

Posted on: 2011/5/1 14:58
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Somewhere I recall reading that adding some diesel fuel to gasoline will help to mitigate vapor locking. What is the recommended amount of diesel to add to a tank of gas - a quart or a gallon per tank (est. 20 gal capacity)? Thanks.

(o{I}o)

Posted on: 2011/5/7 19:06
We move toward
And make happen
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike
See User information
I do believe i heard 10% was the magic number, but i may be way off.

Posted on: 2011/5/7 19:54
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
cortcomp,

Thanks.

Does anyone know if the higher octane gas resists vapor lock any better than the lower grades? I am currently using 87.

The reason I am inquiring is with the hot drive home from a car show yesterday. The temps were in the low-90s. It was a 35 mile drive on access roads and city streets with many traffic signals.

The car ran fine as long as it was moving, but the long stops for red lights made the fuel in the carburetor start to vaporize and the car would try and stall upon getting under way. It never totally died but was rough running until the carb filled with gas.

The coolant temp never got above 185F, but the under hood temps seem to be very high. The car is my '47 Clipper Custom.

The single mechanical fuel pump seems to be working as it should and I believe the problem is with heat from the engine boiling gas in the carburetor bowl. It has all the heat shields.

I am resisting installing an electric fuel pump, but may have to go that route if I am to drive and enjoy the car in hot central Texas.

Thanks.

(o{I}o)

Posted on: 2011/5/8 10:07
We move toward
And make happen
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved