Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
249 user(s) are online (138 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 6
Guests: 243

packardsix1939, 37Blanche, Jimmyk, Ozstatman, Gary Kulp, Tobs, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Engine Numbers for '38 4-dr Touring Sedan
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

dienes83646
See User information
My understanding was that the '38 engine numbers started with A-30001 through A-322751.

The engine I have must have been a replacement as the numbers I find are on the head and they are 389721288 and it there appears to be a date also of 12 3 48.

On the block itself there appears to be another date of 11 28 48 and is on the driver side of the block and toward the rear.

There is also a raised plate-like section in the middle of the block with these numbers M 41418 and I believe some numbers come after these but are so faint I cannot read them.

I'm not certain as to what engine I have. How can I determine whether or not I have a 257 or 282 cu. inch engine?

I could not find any other numbers on this engine.

Thanks in advance for any info you can share.

Posted on: 2011/4/5 22:18
 Top  Print   

Re: Engine Numbers for '38 4-dr Touring Sedan
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
The number you found on the head is a casting number (not a part number, but numerically close) and the 288 that follows it means the head is from a 288, which could not be earlier than 1948 (22nd series). Lots of cylinder head interchange so that doesn't fully identify the motor, but the motor # will.

The 257 engine was the 1935 "120", then enlarged to 282 the next year. With the beginning of the 22nd series the 282 was dropped and the 288 was introduced which was not a bored 282 but an entirely new and lengthened engine block. "M" series motors are 1954, M-4XX,XXX would be a 327 cubic inch "Cavalier" engine, 5-main bearings, hydraulic lifters, 4-bbl carb.

Posted on: 2011/4/5 22:35
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

flackmaster
See User information
Way cool car....hotrod Packard! I have a friend with a warmed over 53-327 in a 38. Love it Love it Love it. And yes, the Factory "approved" of such retrofits...

DF

Posted on: 2011/4/5 22:59
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Yes, that should be a pretty peppy combination. The 54 Cavalier 327 was rated at 185 hp and with the 288 head the compression ratio will be increased over the stock 8:1, probably in the borderline range of wanting premium gasoline.

Posted on: 2011/4/6 7:29
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved