Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
178 user(s) are online (134 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 177

Tobs, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

How many dogs awaiting the dream?
Home away from home
Home away from home

patgreen
See User information
Went to look at a v-8 senior car described as a good driver a little work away from being a show car....

Rust was starting to bubble on the roof, the back door dogleg and the usual other spots. the engine ran rougher than a demolition derby loser. T-l "just needed a few wires".

Trsns leaked, PS whined and leaked like a sieve.

The recent $8,500 interior was put on apparently without doing any thing to the seat like repadding it.

There were numerous electrical anomolies: seat went up when you pushed down, the "new" all window switch had been broken in installation.

Did I mention the lack of visible oil pressure, which might or might no be profound.

The "new" complete exhaust system sounded like straight pipes. At the least, the car lacked resonators.

And worst of all, my wife didn't like the colors.

The owner had had this car for 20+ years.
We have been over the jumps about people being optimistic and/or unrealistic about their car when selling it.

What percentage of owners try to fix things by hiring incompetent and/or unschooled workers, or do their own work ineptly, without craft?

How many, in "saving" the car actually contribute to it being ruined?

Just amazes me!

Posted on: 2011/4/7 20:45
When two men ride the same horse, one has to be in the back...
 Top  Print   

Re: How many dogs awaiting the dream?
Home away from home
Home away from home

John Harley
See User information
Pat

This has happened to me many times when I go to look a car

"the universe may be finite but human ignorance isn't:

Regards

John Harley

Posted on: 2011/4/7 21:39
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
To almost match that one, here's a 55 Constellation. Not quite as good an example though. Asking $6700 & would be a nice starting project car but I think it's owner is also a bit optimistic. He is open to offers though.

I like the description of "needs windshield & gasket, has power brakes but master cylinder leaks a little, trans slips a little, and TL is intact but needs work". The car appears to be sitting about 3-4 inches off the ground all around so wonder what part needs work. Other than that, shows promise.http://visalia.craigslist.org/cto/2278103881.html

Posted on: 2011/4/7 21:51
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
They're only wild goose chases of the 3rd kind. The most disappointing are the Cords, Packards, sidecars, Indians and Hens that turn out to be Henry J's or Vespas or old meter boxes welded to a water pipe frame. The very worst are completely non-existent to begin with.

I've been on more than my share of wild goose chases over the years. Even on relatively modern grocery getters.

That's just the way it is. It's called salesmanship. Gufwah ha ha ha ha ha. Would anyone like to buy a real nice bridge, or maybe an Explorer with Firestone tires ???? The beat goes on.....

Posted on: 2011/4/7 22:50
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rich Bishop
See User information
I've been watching this one on eBay, it ends soon but after a consultation with my wife, she snapped me back to reality by reminding me that we have no place to keep it and we haven't made enough memories in our current car yet.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250798234884&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Posted on: 2011/4/7 23:51
[color=0099FF]Respectfully,
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
My wife always reminds me when I start looking at other cars "One at a time".

Posted on: 2011/4/8 0:12
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rich Bishop
See User information
Hehe. spoilers. But what would we do without them?

Posted on: 2011/4/8 0:29
[color=0099FF]Respectfully,
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Quite often i've found that the ladies have to be reminded that it's "the man who dies with the most toys (wheather metal or female) WINS!! " and that she is beneficary to the life insurance policy.

True story: Young ladies husband dies in work related accident. Insureance company pays off very handsomely and quickly. BEFORE his toys are basically given away she has a new Cadillac and a new boy friend. In fact, has the caddy and BF just in time to drive to the funeral.

Posted on: 2011/4/8 8:03
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tom (Packin31)
See User information
Quote:

Rich wrote:
I've been watching this one on eBay, it ends soon but after a consultation with my wife, she snapped me back to reality by reminding me that we have no place to keep it and we haven't made enough memories in our current car yet.
Hum wonder what she meant by that :)

Posted on: 2011/4/8 8:31
Tom
1931 833 468 Coupe
Packard Registry|1931 Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

patgreen
See User information
While I wasn't fully aware (or appreciative) at the time, I feel I have just been through a rite of passage that for some reason may be significant.

Wow. Maybe.

C'mon now. How many of you have one or more of these rare, valuable hanger lilies in your garage, or your aunt's or neighbors garage, or stashed on your nephews farm.....

Posted on: 2011/4/8 12:13
When two men ride the same horse, one has to be in the back...
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved