Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
142 user(s) are online (91 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 141

JD in KC, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Engine Serial Number-53 Clipper
Home away from home
Home away from home

Rich Bishop
See User information
I didn't see this anywhere else in the forums, I think I know the answer, but where would I fing the engine serial number ojn a 327 Thunderbolt? Is it right on the top of the head?

Some background info:
I bought my car from a reputable classic car dealer in West Chester, Pa. While he's not a Packard expert and not the original owner of this car, I basically got a good car for a good price. In my post-purchase research, which seems to consume more and more of my free-time, I got the notion that the block color on the 53's should be grey. I guess I got that idea from ill Hirsch's catalog where the engine paint is listed as grey for a '53. But never really thought much of it, plus I couldn't really get to the garage much in the winter (its an off-site garage I am renting on a short-term lease).

I did notice on a visit to the car in February that the date 5 20 53 was cast on the front left of the head. I thought that was cool because I know my car is a 2662 body style and serial number 23480, so from that I assume it was made rather late in production, as something like 26,000 of these were made for 1953. I had NOT previously noticed, until today that the exhaust manifold has the remnants of grey paint on it.

So, last night in advance of my visit today to the car, I downloaded the Engine Serial number reference from the forum directory, since I had seen a number cast above the PACKARD on the top of the head.

So I eagerly checked it first thing and found this number:

Attach file:

jpg  (137.13 KB)
3620_4d9e885b390d1.jpg 1296X968 px

Posted on: 2011/4/7 23:01
[color=0099FF]Respectfully,
 Top  Print   

Re: Engine Serial Number-53 Clipper
Home away from home
Home away from home

Rich Bishop
See User information
If that is a serial number, it doesn't match up with anything on the Serial number reference list

Posted on: 2011/4/7 23:05
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
It will be on drivers side of block just below head and stamped on a smoothed area either around distributor toward rear of engine or just above the starter.

Posted on: 2011/4/7 23:06
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
446018 is the part number for a 1953 8.0 to 1 compression head. Following Packard practice the casting number is one below that.
The engine in our 52 Mayfair was gray. I think most 51-54 engines (excluding 359) are gray.

Posted on: 2011/4/8 0:08
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Randy, you are correct. All 1951-54 288 & 327 engines are gray. The only exception is the 1954 359 which is bronze.

Posted on: 2011/4/8 0:17
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rich Bishop
See User information
Ok, Thanks guys for the info so far. So I'm at least looking at a repainted engine, probably a rebuilt.

As I had metioned, I had never paid much attention to the exhaust manifold, I always thought it was rust-colored. In close examination today, I saw faint traces of grey paint on it, but the engine is green, and in nice shape.

I'll update this weekend after I hed to the gargage tomorrow with my engine serial number. I just got a package from Hirsch- Semi-Sealed Beam Halogens. I hope I can put those in this weekend but I'm working shift work, so it may not be till Monday. I have a load of minor work to do ahead of the All-Packard Swap Meet in Md. in May.

Posted on: 2011/4/8 0:25
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
I hope to make the Frederick meet also. If you see me, give me a poke in the ribs. I'll buy the coffee.

Posted on: 2011/4/8 1:03
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Just an added note on the casting number; there are instances where a single casting produced more than 1 finished part, so the finished part# isn't necessarily always just 1 digit higher than the casting #.

Posted on: 2011/4/8 8:49
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rich Bishop
See User information
Randy,

I'll keep an eye out for you!!

Posted on: 2011/4/9 13:53
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved