Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
149 user(s) are online (87 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 148

kevinpackard, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Copper Spray-a-Gasket
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Dave Merrick
See User information
Hi All,

I pulled the manifolds off the '51 300 again and took them to the machine shop to have them milled. The old-timer at the shop seemed pretty familiar with them. (When I walked in the door he gave me a weird stare and first thing out of his mouth was "Packard?").

Anyway, he recommended I get one of the hot-spot gaskets. He told me to use a draw-file to get both mating surfaces as flat as I could, assemble with the gasket then have him mill it. Then he said to attach it to the block in one piece.

Makes sense.

I've got the mating surfaces as flat as possible and there are still some minor pitting on the block-side of the hot-spot. Would copper spray a gasket help? Is it recommended? Or should I just put the gasket on dry?

Thanks,
Dave

Posted on: 2011/4/10 11:17
----------------
1951 Packard 300 (2472)
"Built to outlast them all..."
 Top  Print   

Re: Copper Spray-a-Gasket
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I'm still curious when that was added since the June 54 revision of parts manual doesn't show the group or part number Max lists for it and the 51 service manual says there is no gasket used there.

Posted on: 2011/4/10 11:28
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

gone1951
See User information
Quote:
I'm still curious when that was added since the June 54 revision of parts manual doesn't show the group or part number Max lists for it and the 51 service manual says there is no gasket used there.

I have to agree. I just checked out the original intake/exhaust manifold I removed from my 51 300 because of cracks and a hole in the heat riser area. No gasket. The one I replaced it with also came off a 51 and has no gasket either however I do have a gasket made to fit that area. It came with a valve grind set I bought a wile ago. Don't really see why a gasket would hurt anything. If the mating surfaces are not perfect it may just help.

Posted on: 2011/4/10 11:55
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Back to the original question, I don't know if the copper is necessary and it's only rated to 500 degrees max which might be close to the temp at that particular spot with no block to absorb some of the heat. With a gasket though, that shouldn't be an issue.

Manifold gaskets and turbos are one of the recommended uses for it so guess that concentrated heat is taken into consideration. It probably wouldn't hurt and would fill in any surface imperfections.

Posted on: 2011/4/10 14:01
Howard
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved