Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
205 user(s) are online (124 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 205

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Back doors won't open
Home away from home
Home away from home

Garrett Cuellar
See User information
I can't get the back doors open, even after spraying two cans of Kroil on the mechanisms inside the doors. It's as if they are welded shut, and I really don't know the next move I should make. Has this happened to anyone else? If so what did you do to break them loose? The car has possibly been sitting for 40 years

Posted on: 2011/4/16 23:30
Garrett

1952 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan

" If you don't go when you want to go, when you do go, you'll find you've gone"- Burt Munro
 Top  Print   

Re: Back doors won't open
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I doubt it was welded or you should be able to see signs of it. Possibly the frame has sagged which is causing a bind. Probably things are just stuck. Which part did you spray? On your video the inside panels appear to still be in place so any spray will be a little hard to get to the mechanism. Also did you push from the back seat using that handle trying to open. Here is a quick rundown of the lock mechanism.

An outside handle is shown in the first picture. All the inside mechanicals are similar to the second picture-- (another model front door passenger side shown) and work in a similar fashion.

To release, the outside button has to push in and that little round steel collar on the bar has to press against A on the latch and move it far enough to lift the lever B and pawl C so the latch can rotate. Same with inside handle except it pulls at G which pushes down at D to lift the same pawl. If the door lock button is broken or not up all the way, that mechanism between E & F can prevent either from working. Usually the outside button problem is the collar has either slipped so A can't be pushed in far enough or the button isn't moving in far enough because of dirt and corrosion.

Without the inner panel off, it will be very hard to lube the actual latch and see what is happening or not happening. One thing you might try if all else has failed is have a helper push the button or inside handle to release and at the same time you use a wide lip but thin pry bar under the door crack at the bottom to lift and pry out at the same time. Just try not to bend things too badly.

Attach file:

jpg  (37.46 KB)
209_4daafa89b9136.jpg 577X640 px

jpg  (20.58 KB)
209_4daafa942b333.jpg 401X350 px

Posted on: 2011/4/17 9:35
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

fred kanter
See User information
You're in a hot state, possibly the door gaskets are stuck to the body. Unlikely that both latches are broken. Put some duct tape on the rocker panel and door at the back of the door, then use a wide screw driver.

Posted on: 2011/4/17 9:45
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
If you can have someone hold the interior door handle in the released position, you could lie on the back seat and use both feet (without shoes on) to push against the door.
Nance kicked his way out of a 55 that was on the assembly line. I thought that problem had been resolved.

Posted on: 2011/4/17 16:56
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Garrett Cuellar
See User information
Yeah the door panels have been taken off and the lock pawls are off of the rotator. And even laying in the back seat and kicking with both legs isn't budging the door (including a helper). I still will give the pry bar idea a go, but if that doesn't work i'm at a loss.

Posted on: 2011/4/17 23:58
Garrett

1952 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan

" If you don't go when you want to go, when you do go, you'll find you've gone"- Burt Munro
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
Sometimes the teeth on the rear door strikers get so worn from vibration that they jam horribly with the teeth on the lock. Best is to push down on the back edge of the door as hard as you can while trying to pull the door open.

Posted on: 2011/4/18 5:59
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Let the ride decide
See User information
GR52

I do not have any additional suggestions on opening the back doors.

I just wanted to make sure you were aware of The Heart of Texas region of the Packard Club in San Antonio. MAYBE one of their members could help you.

GO to the websitehttp://www.packardclub.org/
and look at the regions tab.

In addition to HOT, there is Lone Star in Houston, Ark-La Tex in east Texas, Packards North Texas in the FW/Dallas area.

Posted on: 2011/4/18 21:52
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Place a jack under the FRAME about centre of the car on the same side that the door is on. Jack up the car and see if that will free the door. Mite have to try simialar strategy from opposite side if that doesn;t work.

Posted on: 2011/4/18 21:57
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
I assume at this point u have the interioe trim panel removed. If bolts for the door hinges are accessible then loosen the bolts. If u have to pry on the door with a pry bar then FIRST try prying the door UP from the bottom.

Posted on: 2011/4/18 22:05
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Blow around the edge of the door with some compressed air to remove any loose dirt, and then spray a little penetrator around the perimeter. This may help soften the door gasket and also soften up and packed in dirt. My rear passenger door was stuck on the '54 Clipper (basically same as yours). and I had to kick it open form the inside. Went it finally opened, about 15lbs of dirt fell out that was packed in the door gap like mortar.

Also a running a putty knife around the door perimeter may be useful in helping to unstick a door gasket, and break up any packed in dirt.

Posted on: 2011/4/19 12:01
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved