Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
241 user(s) are online (172 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 5
Guests: 236

Packard Don, BigKev, Ozstatman, Don 37, humanpotatohybrid, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: 48 Super 8 won't start
Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike
See User information
Also, i wouldn't rely on dry just out of storage compression readings. Once you get it running and if it's OK, take it on a nice 5 or 10 mile drive. Park it and let it sit over night and check compression again. That'd be a more fair comparison to what dealer would have done back in the day than a dry sticky motor fresh out of storage. I'd be willing to bet your pressures would be a lot more even.

Posted on: 2011/5/3 16:02
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

fred kanter
See User information
No self respecting mechanic would tow a car to get it started. Besides being a potentially very dangerous practice, you'll never find it in a factory or Motors Manual. It's the equivalent of using a 5 pound sledge hammer on a voltage regulator.

If a car is flooded and the cylinders have fuel in them, take the plugs out and let it sit. Fuel puddled in the manifold, prop open the choke and throttle plates and let it sit. IN a BIG hurry, use a blowtorch or better yet dynamite.

Go through diagnostic procedures as outlined in a service manual. Much wisdom to be found there. Cars are logical animals, treat them as such.

Posted on: 2011/5/3 22:22
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

kybeefguy
See User information
I just did what I probably should have done in the first place. I removed the carb and disassembled it and thoroughly cleaned it. I removed the intake and exhaust manifolds and cleaned them also. I got them all back together and - shockingly - the ole'gal started right up. And I mean RIGHT UP. It purrs like a kitten. We're going out for a drive on Sunday. Thanks to all for the advice. TIM

Posted on: 2011/5/4 21:39
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved