Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
138 user(s) are online (101 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 136

kevinpackard, Ernie Vitucci, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

48 Super 8 won't start
Just popping in
Just popping in

kybeefguy
See User information
Novice mechanic needs help !! My 48 won't start this Spring. I've driven it regularly ( not in winter ) for the past two years with no problems. New plugs / wires last Fall. Engine turns as normal but never fires. I do have spark at the plugs - but how do I know if it is hot enough ? Have fuel at the carb - and can see it squirt down into the carb body. Did a compression check with these results :
1) 30
2) 80
3) 75
4) 75
5) 110 ( and spewing fuel mist on compression)
6) 100 (moist with fuel)
7) 60
8) 55

Don't know if spark is not hot enough - but I rather suspect it is a fuel delivery problem. Why would 6 of 8 spark plug holes be dry and #5 spewing mist and #6 be moist with gas ? What should be my next step ?? Thanks , Tim

Posted on: 2011/4/27 17:19
 Top  Print   

Re: 48 Super 8 won't start
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day Tim,
to PackardInfo. Unfortunately I'm not a mechanic either so I'll let the more knowledgeable and experienced comment and advise in depth, but I'll give some thoughts. Those inconsistent compression readings don't look positive I'm thinking maybe because 5 & 6 have good compression that's why they show fuel while the others are pumping the vapour into the sump(pan). Maybe some oil into the cylinders to help seal the cylinders leaking? Of course that wont help if the problem is stuck valves.

On another note, I invite you to include your '48 Super Eight in the Packard Owners Registry.

Posted on: 2011/4/27 17:57
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
It seems strange 5 and 6 would be getting so much fuel. Believe they are served by one runner of the intake manifold. Any chance the carb has a problem and is dumping raw fuel down the throat--perhaps the float has stuck. With the tilt of the engine, it would probably tend to run into that segment of manifold.

Posted on: 2011/4/27 19:55
Howard
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

kybeefguy
See User information
I have the original carb to the car and I took it apart to understand it a little more. Will check on the float issue and report back. Thanks for your help / suggestions !! TIM

Posted on: 2011/4/28 11:47
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

kybeefguy
See User information
Only thing I found wrong with the carb was one of the metering rods was off its hanger. Would that cause xcess fuell to enter manifold ? I also checked the dipstick - and sure enough - it snmelled of gasoline. So I've changed the oil and put about 10 mls in each spark plug hole. I will see if this helps compression - fuel line disconnected of course. Any other suggestions ? TIM

Posted on: 2011/4/28 14:32
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike
See User information
If you fixed that try and fire it off. Also, check plug gap. I had mine at 35 and when i switched back to points ignition it wouldn't fire...changing to 25 made a huge difference for me.

Posted on: 2011/4/28 14:33
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

kybeefguy
See User information
I've actually had a few cylinders fire ( so that's some improvement ) - but not enough to "catch " and start running. I've even hit it with some ether - but no start-up. Is the next logical step a carb rebuild ?? or cleanup ??

Posted on: 2011/4/30 21:53
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

kybeefguy
See User information
All kinds of rust colored sludge built up in bowl. Cleaned up pretty nicely though. All fuel passageways seem to be clear. Standing fuel in the intake manifold. Removed intake / exhaust manifolds. New gaskets all around is the next step - I suppose. Any dissenting opinions please advise. Thanks , TIM

Posted on: 2011/5/2 22:34
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Others will have to give an opinion as to whether the loose metering rod would cause the fuel to dump into the manifold. Not sure when you removed them but after 3-4 days, would have expected gas to be all evaporated unless they were filled to the brim. Is there still a carb leak?

With rust type appearing sediment in carb, maybe a piece was big enough & caused the float to not shut the fuel off. If rust there though, would also be concerned about the screens in bottom of fuel pump possibly having a buildup as well. Might be a good idea to drop the bottom fuel pump cover and have a look. If that is full, then a fuel tank cleaning would be a good idea.

If you have the ceramic fuel filter, those have been known to cause serious fuel delivery problems if clogged with tiny particles.

Posted on: 2011/5/2 23:04
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
Being horribly lazy, here's what I would do (and have done)before taking manifolds off: Put a bit more oil in the cylinders, spin it a bit and put the plugs back in. Get a long strap and tow the sucker. In less than half a block it will be running. This is easier on all components than endless cranking with no oil spray going on inside the engine.

But remember also what Jack Vines once warned about--and I've lived it too: plugs that are "cold fouled". They look quite ok but don't spark under pressure. 8 fresh ones will be money well spent.

At some point you need to find out about your bad compression; save those manifold gaskets for that adventure.

Posted on: 2011/5/3 5:35
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved